Upper Penninsula Hunting Report

dmcianfa

Upper Penninsula Hunting Report

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:02 am

I would like to start an Upper Penninsula Hunting Report for those that frequent the U.P. during the season.  Personally, I havn't seen the buck sign this year I was hoping for aside for a few rubs on the property in Menominee County, but am anxious to hear from those in other parts about any hunting related items in the yoop and what they are experiencing in the big north woods.  Thanks and hope to get some feedback.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

U of M Fan

RE: Upper Penninsula Hunting Report

Postby U of M Fan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:56 am

I havent made it up to my spot in Iron county yet. Wont be up there until the second week of november. Cant wait!!!!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:14 pm

Well, just got back to the computer and spent some time in the up woods this weekend.  Much to my dissappointment I didn't see a single buck this weekend, just does.  [:(]  On another note, I had to attend a birthday party on saturday afternoon, so I wasn't able to sit in my stand until 4:00 p.m., which is a total bummer cause on of the neighbors said he saw the big 10 in the corner of our alfalfa field at 2:30 p.m.  My stand is just inside of that corner about 20 yds.  Jeesh, my luck is really foul lately.  Not only that, but I hunted a different stand cause the wind switched to the south on Sunday and found a racoon making it his home.  I climbed the ladder to find him staring at me when I reached the top rung.  Boy was I so suprised I almost fell out of the dang ladder stand.  So, I got a stick and poked him, but he wouldn't move off my seat.  Then I grabbed an arrow out of my quiver and poked him, then he sure moved fast, but right up the dang tree.  So I let him be cause he was out of my reach by then and he hung out all evening about 10 ft. above my head, raining me with bark the whole dang evening hunt.  He was also making racket by breaking some twigs and what not on the tree.  Ruined my whole hunt with all the loud noise.  In hindsight, I should have stuck him, but didn't want to shoot straight up into the air.  You never know what could happen, plus there were too many branches and I didn't want to lose one of my carbin arrows with a broadhead on it.  I'll be bringing a field point next round. 

Racoon 1
Dom 0

game 2, next week, same bat time. LOL!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

axtellj

Postby axtellj » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Hopefully the deer are moving this weekend in Menominee County when I get back from college for a couple of days.  Have seen some nice deer on the trail cams so I know they are around.  Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  Will let you know what kind of activity I see when I return back to school probably Tuesday.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:34 am

I havent seen any monsters up there while bear hunting. However I have seen some spikes and a lot of does. The area seems good for my part of the woods so far.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

MI Hunter

Postby MI Hunter » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:55 am

I haven't hunted the UP since arond '96 but am looking at going for a week myself in Menomonee Co.  I may try to get up there next weekend to take a look around, so hopefully there's some good sign.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:18 pm

Not the sign I expected to see compared to that of last year.  However, I've got some dandies on trail cam during the summer.  Not one pic of them the last month or so however.  I'm going to get into more thick and nasty stuff in a couple weeks and maybe even hit the cedar swamp and do some ground bow hunting, since the swamp is so thick you don't have any lanes even if your 5 ft. up a cedar in there.

axtellj

Postby axtellj » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Well the weekend didn't go as planned.  The weather definately was miserable, but I stuck it out.  Didn't get any deer saw a few does, nub buck, 3 pt, and a decent buck but he didn't let me get a good look as he went right back into the thick stuff.  There was no rubs or scrapes where I was hunting which kind of suprised me, because I have heard a lot of people talking about seeing some.  The nice one I have on camera decided not to show up this weekend, but sooner or later he will make a mistake for someone hunting that area.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Well at least you guys are seeing a little movement. A little movement is better than none at all.. Ill be up in 17 DAYS! Im pumped for the hunt!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:33 am

be out this weekend.  Supposed to be warm though, so I'm not going to count any chickens.  We need a cold snap bad.  Good weather, but not so much for huntin'.  Usually the UP has a dusting or two by now, even in the southern half of yooperland.

Next

Return to Michigan