Any luck with the Bow?

ranwin33

RE: any luck with the bow?

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:20 am

No bucks, but a couple of does so far.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

awiersum

Postby awiersum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 am

Nothing Notta 0 zilcth when are these deer going to MOVE.J/K Have seen some but has rained for Day In MI laid off can hunt as much as I want so Ill be out Tuesday

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Saw nothing with my bow. Took my son out for youth w/e, and saw 3 turkeys. That was it.
Attention has turned to muzzleloading.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

PSE Hunter

RE: Any luck with the Bow?

Postby PSE Hunter » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:17 am

Well since Oct. 3 I been hunting very hard, My son arrowed a nice 2yr. old 10pt. (opening day) Now me on the other hand though the hot and the rain, havn't seen but a doe here and there. Until last night the 26th I saw 8 does and a 2yr. old 8pt. and He was birddoggin them. SO now I'm FIRED UP, FEED UP, AND AIN'T GONNA LET UP! Good luck.
I said it, mean't it, hear to represent it!

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

ORIGINAL: marshall9779

No. I did take a shot on a 4-5 pointer. It was damn near straight down. The arrow was quite far enough back and hit the shoulder blade and got no penetration. There was no blood or anything. Lost the deer after a fruitless search.

When you say straight down, did you mean he was right below you?  The reason I ask is because I don't see that as a very high percentage shot.  The area to be able to put a deer down is very small, and there is a greater chance for a bad shot (which may have happened), and to have a wounded or dead deer out there that may not get recovered (as sounds is the case?).  Correct me if I'm wrong...

Buckhunter21, your are absolutaly correct. I too have learned the hard way from this about four years ago. I shot a real old 5 year old buck straight down from the treestand. Only got one lung, and the arrow was sticking out of his back yet as he walked off. let him sit for a couble hours, then jumped him. left him over night but we never did find him after the blood trail ran cold.

never felt more sick in my life. Just couldnt pass that shot right underneath me, of course i was young and dumb and didnt realize the small percentage shot it offered.

Hopefully more guys learn from our mistakes so you dont have to go through this yourselves... good luck this fall!
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:16 pm

only been out opening day, mourning and night...saw a "legal" buck in the mourning...10yrds passed on him...saw two doe and a 6pt...all at 10 yards passed on them....

my buddies saw does in the mourning and a couple bucks in the afternoon but they were to far away to really make out how big

kighty7

Postby kighty7 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:17 am

I shot a doe last week on Tuesday right before dusk. I was out this week on Tuesday and had a buck chasing some does. I could here him grunting as he chased the does around the ravine I was near. I never saw the buck but with the grunting could put 2 and 2 together. I believe the seeking phase is just starting to get started. I had two buddies shoot small 1.5 year old bucks this week by using a little but of rattling. The younger buck, as usual are causing mischief for the does.
Mathews Drenalin
Trophy Ridge 5 pin site
Rage 2 Blade
Left Handed Freak

jdsbuckfever

Postby jdsbuckfever » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:46 am

i have only seen one deer so far this season. it was the button buck that i shot on the 24th. my dad and brother have seen several does that have been to far to get a shot. we have not seen any bucks yet.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:56 pm

Still tough sledding around my area. I haven't really hunted too far from the house, but I've only seen one buck and three deer altogether in 10 "hunts". I'm gonna travel a little bit to farther places next week.

Usually, by now, I see what I call a "walk through". That is, a buck you've never seen before that just walks through the area where you are set up and if you dont shoot him, you never see him again. The one buck I did see may have been a walk through, but he was too far away and I couldn't put four points on one side.

All that said, I'm still having fun.

tedo123

Postby tedo123 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:29 pm

I have had a very good year, I have seen 32 bucks but I only saw 2 I would shoot. I'm trying to shoot 130" or better in the state of pa, this is a challenge but I have seen them and got trail cam pics of them. It has been awhile since I killed a deer but I'm out every chance I get.

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania