question about trails

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
poorboy

question about trails

Postby poorboy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:15 pm

I got permisson to hunt 30 acres about the 3rd week in october.I went in done some quick scouting found trails well worn alot of em where criss crossin each other so i put a stand up where i could see the best used trails. First time in the stand i shot a doe .Ive hunted this stand several times and havent seen nothing seems like the deer just disappeared no sign at all and the white oak trees are still dropin a few acorns. The property is boared by a national park on 1 side the other side about a 5 year old clear cut and the back side by a river. The clear cut side is a hunting club and they have 2 large food plots. Did shooting the doe spook the deer from my area? or have they moved on to other food sources or what any advice on what to do would be greatly apperciated

Goose

RE: question about trails

Postby Goose » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:46 am

It sounds to me like the deer caught on to being hunted.

Where you cautious with your scent?
Did you play the wind and make sure it wasn't blowing into their bedroom or where they were traveling?
Where your entrance and exits stealthy and well planned?

If you answered yes to all of these then something else happened such as preferred food or something along those lines.
But, if the above questions come back as a no, I think the deer sensed the pressure and reacted accordingly.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:27 am

I doubt shooting the doe spooked anything from your area.

Those trails may be caused by deer moving at night.  You might try moving up the trails as far as you can to where you believe the deer are coming from, you might catch one while it's still daylight.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:27 am

ORIGINAL: poorboy

seems like the deer just disappeared no sign at all

This is where my response came from.
Ranwin has a good point as well.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

poorboy

Postby poorboy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:15 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

It sounds to me like the deer caught on to being hunted.

Where you cautious with your scent?
Did you play the wind and make sure it wasn't blowing into their bedroom or where they were traveling?
Where your entrance and exits stealthy and well planned?

If you answered yes to all of these then something else happened such as preferred food or something along those lines.
But, if the above questions come back as a no, I think the deer sensed the pressure and reacted accordingly.

Yes very cautious about scent control as far as entrance its kinda hard to change my travel routes do u property lines but i dont go in our out the same way . Hunted this stand today and got busted by a very nice buck and the wind was in my favor blowing in my face and i sprayed down with scent away 3 times before i left home before i enterd the woods and in the stand. Will this buck come back? he blowed and just troted off how long should i wait to hunt the area again?

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:20 am

Thats tough to say without being there, but if the ruts on, it might be worth it to sit every time the wind is right.
If he picked you off and blew at you, he probably will not go by there in daylight unless he's on a doe, but stranger things have happened and there are always more deer in the woods.
Best of luck!
Jake

poorboy

Postby poorboy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:27 am

Would movin my stand up the trail 20 or so yards would that help or spook him even more

mrbill_01

Postby mrbill_01 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:38 pm

The problem may be that you said you hunted the stand several times. If so, the deer probably got wise to you. I would try hunting a different spot each time you go in. The element of suprise always works well for me.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:46 pm

What kind of stand are you in...climber, ladder, hang on?  How is your concealment?  Remember the leaves have pretty much fallen, so its nothing but you and the bare woods, much easier for wary bucks to spot you from far away, especially if you move...and yes they do look up.  If there is still fresh sign that they are moving in the area I would definitely try moving your stand 20-30 yards in a different direction.

robert loper

Postby robert loper » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:06 pm

wind or sounds like you might be too close to bedding there hearing you come in or someone is baiting close too you somthing aint right confidence is key and when your not you will get fidgety and careless back off another 30 yards from trails and try it if not abandon spot for two weeks or so

Next

Return to All About Deer Sign