Deer Hunt '08 TV SHOW?

Big Buck Daddy

Deer Hunt '08 TV SHOW?

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:54 pm

Did anyone see the TV show on Public Television "Deer Hunt '08" (I think is what it was called)?

If so, what was your opinion?  I have my opinion, but would like to hear yours.

Thanks.
Good luck and happy hunting!
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

Gafrage

RE: Deer Hunt '08 TV SHOW?

Postby Gafrage » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:58 am

I stopped watching that a few years back.  They mostly beat a dead horse over and over and over, and the only thing they mention is mostly about the CWD.  In my honest opinion, I'm sick and tired of hearing the DNR make excuses for why they fail at life.  Zones weren't supposed to be Earn a Buck if the zone had a 2-1 doe to buck harvest during our "2 year trial" period.  What a load of crap that was.  My zone was close to a 3-1 doe to buck ratio over this period.  Yet, we are still earn a buck.  I guess I don't have a problem with this whole earn a buck thing since I harvest my share of does, and so does everyone else around me.  Also, I don't have a problem with it because I haven't had a mature buck, or record buck for that matter walk by me without having a tag to be able to harvest it like so many people have.  What I do have a problem with this October T-Zone in my area, as I'm sure most people in WI have.  Keep in mind DNR, having this hunt, that a few people take part in sends the deer into a Nocturnal pattern too early in the year.  My deer sightings were pretty much negative after this season every time. 

I wish they would do some sort of ratio of number of deer harvested (buck to doe ratio) after the T-Zone hunt, up to the opener of gun season and compare it to the total harvests when the October T-Zone wasn't in place.  Then I think some people might be a little more open to this craziness that sends the deer nocturnal if they gave me actual proof that the deer population was going down.  Sending the deer nocturnal that early and giving them a chance to find a really good bedding spot makes it hard for the actual gun season. 

So in conclusion, I gave up on watching that show a couple years back, because all it does is frustrate me even more, because it's basically a way for the DNR to use propaganda.

I wanted to know, is that thing live?  I think it's taped and aired...right?  I would have more respect for it probably if it was live.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:34 am

I watched the first 30 minutes of it and stopped watching it because I got bored listening to them talk about CWD and how there are still to many deer running around.  The dnr is a joke and I know many other hunters will agree with me on that.  The dnr really does need to get rid of the October antlerless hunt.  I was in favor of it but after this year I'm against it.  I was seeing a fair share of deer before that hunt while bowhunting and after the hunt I haven't seen much deer at all.  I go shinning and there they are out in the fields.  I agree that the deer did go nocturnal from the pressure. 

As for the show being live or taped I think it was live because they claimed you could call in with questions and they would answer them on the show.  I was very tempted to call in asking when they will take the earn a buck out and go back to the regular 9 day gun season but I didn't.

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:59 am

I watched the show and found it very reptative.  They basically said the same horse crap as last year.  I agree with you other guys that they need to cut out the October antlerless season.  It would bother me so bad if I could at least take a buck with my bow but nope, theirs one weekend of the season wasted.  This year they didn't even take phone calls.  At least one of the portions was taped becuase they follwed a hunter into the woods during the October antlerless only hunt.  I'm lead to believe the whole show would probably be taped, but thats just my guess. I base that on the fact the Dan Small interviewed different people in different rooms while their were no commercials.  I doubt if I'll take the time to watch it next year, you see it once you've seen it all.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:48 pm

I echo all your comments.  I'm not a big fan of them either, and def. not a fan of them having an early antlerless hunt.  What a joke that is...I don't know how we can get them to change their minds on that?!  Have it in December once the gun season is over with.  Good grief!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Theres one then too!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:22 pm

That's right, and I wish that was the only one if you know what I mean!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:13 pm

I agree with you on that.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:12 am

I felt it was 100% propaganda and could tell it was 100% paid for by the DNR (which means it was paid for by us and our money).  I saw last year's show and watched this one out of curiousity but it was as I expected.  They displayed it in a light that the DNR are these great wildlife managers that are working closely with the public and hunting communities striving to improve the quality of Wisconsin's hunting heritage.  When we all know that the DNR does there own thing and doesn't listen to us at all.

The ONLY part of the show I thought was interesting was towards the end when they discussed the elk herd near Clam Lake.  I've read alittle about it and was interested to hear the history and the (DNR's) plan for the future.  I fear that the herd will never reach that goal due to either the great wolf re-introduction or the DNR's (foreign) policies.

I, like many of you, will not waste my time anymore!  I will instead wait for a more reliable source to report on our local news!

You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

Hudson Buckmaster

Postby Hudson Buckmaster » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:21 am

Don't even get me started on the DNR and their T-Zone hunts!

Last year we didn't have one (in 67A) and the deer behaved nicely throught the bow season. They didn't get all spooked and jumpy or go dark on me. This year... YUCK!!!!![:'(]

I believe the added pressure of this hunt on the herd makes them so jumpy that it really, really screws up the balance of the bow season. Plus, most land by me is private so taking a doe with a bow or right away in gun for your EAB is not difficult.

As for the show.... I watch nothing on Public Telly... ZIP! Left winged propaganda that brain washes it viewers. I should be more open minded I suppose, but after seeing a show entitled "Guns of Autumn" about 30 years ago I don't think so. It portrayed hunters as serial killers and basic murders.

I'll just stay with Vs. or The Outdoor Channel please. And there are always the babes on the Weather Channel to watch if I get bored of Infomercials!
Da Buckmaster

Next

Return to Wisconsin