Activity picking up FINALLY

djohns13

Activity picking up FINALLY

Postby djohns13 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:45 am

So far this has been a tough season for me. Hunting in Hendricks County, I have seen an increase in rubs and scrapes in the last two weeks but haven't seen any bucks chasing. A good friend saw a buck chasing does this morning so I am hoping that it is finally picking up in my area.

I hunted White County earlier this week and had a very nice 10 pointer bust me from about 40 yards away. Saw a few does but none even remotely close enough for a shot. Also saw a MONSTER buck chasing a very big doe through a bean field as I drove to the hunting spot.

Hitting it again in the morning, hopefully will have some luck.

Good luck to everyone else, be sure and post your experiences if you get the chance.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

8uck5nort

RE: Activity picking up FINALLY

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:49 am

ORIGINAL: djohns13

I hunted White County earlier this week and had a very nice 10 pointer bust me from about 40 yards away. Saw a few does but none even remotely close enough for a shot. Also saw a MONSTER buck chasing a very big doe through a bean field as I drove to the hunting spot.

Cool!!!!

I will be up at the family farm starting tomorrow for the next 10 straight days. I am planning all day sits in the various stands around the farm about a mile or two from where you were (Camp Buffalo I think?). I have not been back out since Saturday. I have not seen much activity up to last Saturday, but the last three days driving to work I have seen a marked increase in road kill and does and one small buck standing or outright bedding in the open in broad daylight. Helps that the farmers are really getting the standing corn out now too.

Good luck to all! I just gotta make it through one more work day!!!
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

I saw a buck chasing a doe Tuesday morning, so yes, the wild time is here.

timeinandout

Postby timeinandout » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:13 am

My brother shot a good buck Sunday Nov. 1. He jumped out of the corn and was tearing up trees. It was about a 130 inch 9 pointer.

Bluegrass Archer

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:53 am

I still havnt seen any chasing. Its kind of frustrating because I know im in area with alot of does. My stands downwind of major bedding area and everytime ive been out this week ive convinced myself a bucks going to chase one out of there. I've had 4 does within shooting range in the past two days but no bucks to be seen. There around, ive seen a couple basket racks; but there not keyed in on these does yet and i hope it happens before gun opener next weekend.
One does not hunt in order to kill, but one kills in order to have hunted.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:14 am

Another weekend in the stand, and another weekend without seeing a single deer. A buddy saw one doe and killed it while my nephew saw one and passed on it. He was waiting for the chasing buck that never showed up. We still have so much standing corn that I think the deer are all in there instead of back in the woods. Also, it has been so warm that I think any serious action has been delayed. I am trying to get out this weekend but it doesn't look good - looks like I might just miss the action this year.

Good luck to everyone, keep us posted on how you are doing.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

GreatOutdoors

Postby GreatOutdoors » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:55 am

I was out in the woods this past weekend.  I definitely saw a pickup in the amount of deer movement.  I would probably attribute that to the corn being picked in the area.  The problem is that the deer seem to be moving more after dark and before daylight.  That is when most of the traffic came through.  

2tonyb

Postby 2tonyb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:35 pm

I let this guy walk on by this morning. I got some great pics. Hopefully he'll grow up to be a big boy.

Return to Indiana