Saw this guy just befire daylight (1 of 2 posts)

hunt4ever

Saw this guy just befire daylight (1 of 2 posts)

Postby hunt4ever » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:31 am

Saw this guy earlier this week just about daylight & under the same apple tree as in this photo.  He presented no shot with my bow since he was about 60 yards away & presented his rear end & antlersImage.  I went above him and watched a trail that I thought he might leave on, but NO luck.  Although I could be convinced he is a high-end 2-1/2 year old Image, I think he is 3-1/2Image.  I may have photos of him from last year as a 6-pointer and don't think he was a yearling at that time.  Since I am limited to 1 photo/post , I will post a 2nd with another photo.  ImageThe 2nd photo shows a broadside, so that is a better shot for estimating age.  Happy hunting, [font="times new roman"][size="4"]Tom Mac[/size][/font]

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

hunt4ever

RE: Saw this guy just befire daylight (1 of 2 posts)

Postby hunt4ever » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:36 am

ORIGINAL: hunt4ever

Saw this guy earlier this week just about daylight & under the same apple tree as in this photo.  He presented no shot with my bow since he was about 60 yards away & presented his rear end & antlersImage.  I went above him and watched a trail that I thought he might leave on, but NO luck.  Although I could be convinced he is a high-end 2-1/2 year old Image, I think he is 3-1/2Image.  I may have photos of him from last year as a 6-pointer and don't think he was a yearling at that time.  Since I am limited to 1 photo/post , I will post a 2nd with another photo.  ImageThe 2nd photo shows a broadside, so that is a better shot for estimating age.  Happy hunting, [font="times new roman"][size="4"]Tom Mac[/size][/font]

He is the 2nd photo of him checking out the licking branch with buck lure on it.  [font="times new roman"][size="4"]Tom Mac[/size][/font]

Legacy

Postby Legacy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:28 am

hunt4ever,
Taking a close look at his rack, it shows every sign of being a young deer. If i was to bet on it I would have to age this buck at 1.5 years old.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:51 am

Mac:
How do you know the six-pointer you photographed last year is the same deer? 

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

hunt4ever

RE: Saw this guy just befire daylight

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:27 am

Steve,  I probably should have sent the 2008 photos I have of a 6-pointer and will post 3 photos of last year's 6-pointer.  Since I can only post 1 photo/post, I will post them one at a time.  I am speculating this is the same buck since the shape of the antlers as a 6 pointers could have developed into 8 points this year.  I got a few different 6-pointers last year, but the antler shape of the others were not close to the shape of this years 8-pointer.  To my knowledge the 6-pointer survived last fall's hunting season; and therefore, IMHO I think he is still around.   Let me know what you think: same buck or different buckImage

Legacy: I hope your right that this is a yearlingImage  I have never seen a yearling like this in the area I hunted for 25 years or so. However, maybe some of the QDM stuff we are doing is working. I will post 2 more photos under separate posts. Happy hunting, [font="times new roman"][size="3"]Tom Mac[/size][/font]

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:31 am

Ref. previous post, attaching photo 2 of 3.

Drhunter2k

Postby Drhunter2k » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:31 am

Here's a picture of the 8 pointer I missed on 11/04/2009 at about 6:25 AM. My camera is placed about 50 yards from my stand. As you can see, the deer wandered by the camera at 6:15 AM. I hit a branch or the side of a small sapling which sent my arrow off somewhere else. I was so mad at myself. Hopefully I will see him again.

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:32 am

Ref. previous post, attaching photo 3 of 3.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:03 am

I don't see any reason to believe it is the same buck. The antler configuration is so ordinary that I believe it's no evidence whatsoever.

Also, on good food, I think he would have developed more than the photos show. There are many 1½ year old and 2½ year old 8-points that look just like him. Nevertheless, there is nothing conclusive one way or the other. I think the photos of the 6-pointer definitely show a 1½ year old buck.

I'm goin' huntin' now.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Legacy

Postby Legacy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:32 pm

Looking at pictures of the six pt, i dont think they are they same deer. If they were the same deer you would see big difference in growth between sets of antlers. Give the 8 pt 2 more years and he could be a P&Y.

Next

Return to New York