RIFLE CHOICE

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
nhdeerchaser

RE: rifle choice

Postby nhdeerchaser » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:07 pm

You have choosen an excellent caliber for deer! You might want to look into a Rem 7600 synthetic and that would give you a great all weather deer rifle!
Don't discount the .270 either.
Just my opinion.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:48 pm

ORIGINAL: jyeomans

I am thinking about anew rifle,bolt action either a .308 or .338, also I need to pick a manufacturer. I have narrowed it down to winchester .308 lightweight, or ruger hawkeye. I would appreciate any opnions,also does anyone used the remington AR 25.  Thankyou John

I really think you ought to consider the 30-06. (1) No store ever runs out of .22 or 30-06 ammo. (2) No other cartridge comes in such a wide variety of cartridges, right off the shelf ... from 55 to 220 grains.

AR 25? Frankly, I think Remington was not targeting "Hunters" when they came out with that gun ... rather people who like to "play army."
[8|]

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:18 pm

ORIGINAL: jyeomans

I am thinking about anew rifle,bolt action either a .308 or .338, also I need to pick a manufacturer. I have narrowed it down to winchester .308 lightweight, or ruger hawkeye. I would appreciate any opnions,also does anyone used the remington AR 25.  Thank you John

The AR-25 is a response (some would say penance) to Jim Zumbo's swan dive a few years ago where he got drunk and got on his weblog and called for all "black rifles" to be banned from hunting. Jim was a spokesman for both Remington and Outdoor Life at the time he wrote that opinion.  Ouch.  That being said, the AR 25 would make a nice deer rifle.  AR- type rifles aren't bad choices for deer, varmints-- our now-retired dog control officer, James T. had a pair of AR style weapons for long distance work on feral dogs-- a 308 WIN and a  338 Lapua.  Personally, I'm a traditional sort of guy, but if you showed up at my place with an AR 25, you'd still be welcomed on the hunt.  If you were dressed in digital camo and carried a Rambo knife  we'd put you over on a ridge by yourself.  The rifle itself, however, is not a problem.

You will need to specify a little more about what sort of hunting you will be doing.  Both the winchester and ruger rifles are great.  My choice would be 308 WIN and be done with it.  
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:14 pm

I think the .338 is a little much for thin skinned deer and over-kill, but it probably packs one helluva whollop.  If you are going hunting out west for elk or to Africa, then maybe you want a weapon for all, but I'm not sure what you plan to hunt with your rifle.  I personally, love my 300 WSM.  Good for deer, bear, elk, antelope, rams, coyotes, caribou.....  Just about everything I could hope to hunt.  but, to each his own.  everyone's got thier own special calibur.  I own about 10 rifles now, soooooo maybe you don't want to listen to me.  [:D]
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

rem700

Postby rem700 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:01 am

308 win
Robert

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 am

ORIGINAL: rem700

308 win

I had a feeling you were going to say that. [:)]

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:00 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

308 win

I had a feeling you were going to say that. [:)]

That's cause northern Floridians are bitter cause they still get cold weather. [:D]

rem700

Postby rem700 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:17 am

for your info i hunt in charleston WV  gun opens in two weeks 11/23/09
Robert

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:43 pm

for your info i hunt in charleston WV  gun opens in two weeks 11/23/09

Omygosh ... right in downtown Charleston? See, I knew it had something to do with the cold. [:D]

Seriously tho, do you have any problems transporting your kill ... and how do you do that? Do you drive, ship, etc?

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:42 am

If I was hunting in the middle of Charleston, WV, I think I'd go take a stand at a Tudor's Biscuit World.  I was through there in 2006, and for some reason there were a bunch of deer hanging out by one.  You could have just kept pulling through the drive-thru and rolled down your window when the buck got in position.

. . . or maybe put a lawnchair on top of the dumpster.

You got to hand it to a restaurant that bases it's reason for existence on biscuits and gravy.

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo