Vt hunters

kat750

Vt hunters

Postby kat750 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:39 am

How many Vermont hunters are out here? lets hear how your season is going so far. I have had a great season so far I got a 6 point 135 pounds  with a bow and a 7 point 175 pounds with a rifle, first time I've took two buck in one deer hunting season.

DeanoZ

RE: Vt hunters

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:12 am

Nice Kat750!  I have a few acres in the NEK and was going to go up this weekend, but plans fell through.  Probably try for the December Archery now.  Where you at?

kat750

Postby kat750 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:53 am

thanks DeanoZ ,Im around the Ascutney Mt in the Weathersfield, Springfield  Vt area.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:36 am

Gotcha, just south of White River Junction.  I'm in East Burke about an hour north of you.  so how is the harvest looking in general for VT this year?  What are you hearing versus experiencing?

kat750

Postby kat750 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:21 pm

At the check stations around me there has been alot of good sized buck
reported in for Vt, some with good racks and big bodies .we  had a good acorn and beach nut year and the  apple trees still have alot of apples on and around them , the area that I hunt the apples is  were most of the deer sign is.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 am

Awesome, glad to hear the harvest looks good...hope to catch the second archery season or winter bow...keep us posted!

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:15 am

Congrats on the bucks!  How the heck do ya post pictures?  It keeps saying mine are too big(not the deer).  I've followed all the Beniot articles for years but they don't say much about hunting VT.

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:25 am

Hey guys,

I am up in the northwest corner of VT. They say things are going well up here this year, but I just haven't seen it. Maybe it is just the land I am hunting. The neighbors shoot everything and pressure the hell out of the woods. May have to move.

Hey Beagleman. You will have to resize your pictures by the sounds of it. Don't make them any bigger than 640x480. The Benoits are an interesting group. There is a reason why they don'y hunt VT anymore.

Where in Western NY are you? I have hunted in a few places out there. Beautiful country and great deer.

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:40 pm

NorthernVT
  We live 20 miles east of Buffalo in Alden,NY and have a couple places to hunt within a couple miles but permission is hard to get.  We also have a camp with 10.5 acres in West Almond,NY which is in Allegany County.  That county has 80,000 acres of state land open to hunting and rifles are legal there as of three seasons ago.  My brother-in-law shot a 3 1/2 yr old 8 pt opening day on State land and my son a doe right on our property.  I passed on a spike.  The population is down in a lot of rural traditional areas but high in the burbs. 
  I  always admired the Beniots for their classic tracking style which is virtually impossible around here.  Around home if you go more than 500 yards in one direction your on the neighbors posted property.  In the southern tier where my camp is you have much larger tracts but unless its late season muzzleloader your just going to push the buck in front of someone else.  So we do a lot of stand hunting and some still hunting.  My son and I also do little pushes which account for a lot our our sucess.  He pushed a nice 6 pt (no brows) to me this year and I pushed a 5 pt to him last year.
  Whats the reason they(Beniots) don't hunt their own State if you don't mind me asking?  I almost ponied up $2500 to hunt with them in Maine at Pine Grove Lodge.

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:54 pm

Hey Beagleman,

I have hunted down in Allegany County and the forest land there. A lot of deer. I was impressed. I have also hunted around the southwest part part of the finger lakes as well. Schuyler, Yates and Stueben counties. Had fun here as well.

I grew up hunting in the big woods of VT. Find a set of big tracks in the snow and follow them. Go a couple of miles without hitting any roads. It is an amazing way to hunt, but the drag can be a bit much at times. Deer around these parts aren't as abundant as they are down around you though. I have a friend who has a camp in the Adirondacks and it is nothing short of amazing over there if you want big woods hunting.

The Benoits are good people, but Maine has some big deer and they have made a couple of land owners mad around these parts. They are good hunters though and it would be an adventure to hunt with them. 

Return to Vermont