Saw this guy just befire daylight (1 of 2 posts)

hunt4ever

RE: Saw this guy just befire daylight

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:44 pm

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I don't see any reason to believe it is the same buck. The antler configuration is so ordinary that I believe it's no evidence whatsoever.

Also, on good food, I think he would have developed more than the photos show. There are many 1½ year old and 2½ year old 8-points that look just like him. Nevertheless, there is nothing conclusive one way or the other. I think the photos of the 6-pointer definitely show a 1½ year old buck.

I'm goin' huntin' now.

Steve

Good points Steve, you could be right.  The 8-pointer is a keeper, so hopefully I will get him one of these days.  His jawbone will tell the tale.  [font="times new roman"][size="4"]Tom Mac[/size][/font]
I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

hunt4ever

Postby hunt4ever » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:16 pm

ORIGINAL: Legacy

Looking at pictures of the six pt, i dont think they are they same deer. If they were the same deer you would see big difference in growth between sets of antlers. Give the 8 pt 2 more years and he could be a P&Y.

Legacy, Until 2003, the 300+ farm I hunt was a dairy farm with 100+ acres of cultivated fields which was producing plenty of good groceries for the deer.  However, the cows were sold and except for a few small food plots, the fields are just being cut to prevent them from going into useless brush, so year good nutrition is a concern of mine.  My cousins own the farm which now produces over 2500 gallons of maple syrup.  Much more money in syrup than 80 or 90 "milkers".  I have some photos that indicate I may have a nutrition problem and got to get my hands around it.  One example is a 8-pointer I got photos of last year and this year, ref. embedded photo below.  It may not be the same buck, but IMHO it is.  If it is the same buck, the body mass increase isn't what it should be and neither is his antler growth.  I got a friend who is a wildlife biologist and he is looking at some photos to try to determine how much a problem I have.  The natural habitat on the property is good, but I think I need to increase food plots and/or start cultivating some of the fields.  I am having a hard problem convincing the other hunters that we have a problem.  The photos will be a big help.

Everyday Hunter also mentioned that he would expect much more development from 2008 to 2009, assuming that he is getting good grub.  The good grup is what I am questioning nowImage  Thanks for your thoughts,  [font="times new roman"][size="4"]Tom Mac[/size][/font]

I would be unstoppable...If I could just get going!

Legacy

Postby Legacy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:58 am

Although at first glance they look awfully similar...Its tough to say. I would expect that after another year older you would see a larger difference in antler development than that. Just based off of that fact im gonna say its not the same deer. Athough the racks look very similar the brow tines and the g-3s on both bucks are different enough to convince me that its not the same deer. Im sure you could benefit from food plots since the working dairy farm no longer operates but im sure if your in farm country theres plenty of food to go around. Dont forget brouse too.

Previous

Return to New York