Antler restrictions in works for 2010

dewey

RE: Antler restrictions in works for 2010

Postby dewey » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:06 am

I would agree with MI_bowhunter and everyone else in saying that an antlered buck must be 4 points of more during the gun season and then everything goes during bow season. Except not everyone bow hunts. I do not bow hunt not because I wouldn't love to but my wife would not go for it. So is the answer to have a early gun season in which you can shoot deer less than 4 points. I know in MN they have an early antlerless season here in October that I will be participating in but could you then have both together or does it make it too hard. Or would it be easiest to have bow season open and then gun season 4 points or larger with only a antlerless season in the zones that warrant the population reduction. I understand that you can not make everyone happy and that sometimes lines need to be drawn for the greater good.

In summary I would support antler restirctions.
Bow - Open
Gun Season/Muzzleloader - 4 point buck or larger.

Just my 2 cents.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:09 am

ORIGINAL: dewey

I do not bow hunt not because I wouldn't love to but my wife would not go for it.
Dewey

Not to pry, but why does Mrs. dewey not support the bowhunting?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

dewey

Postby dewey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:57 am

[/quote]

Not to pry, but why does Mrs. dewey not support the bowhunting?
[/quote]

She doesn't really care about the type of hunting as much as she does the time I spend away from home hunting. Between turkey, deer and elk hunting I will probably spend about 25 days in the feld this year. I know, I know that is not a lot but with little Dewey coming in February I don't want to overextend myself too much and have the little wifey fell like she is a second fiddle, if you know what I mean. I will probably get into bow hunting in the next couple of years but gun hunting is still quite the challenge for me.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

RAMBO

Postby RAMBO » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:50 am

Minnesota needs a point system. The opening weekend of gun season 2009 really made me think about things. A 4 point rule during the gun season would be awesome. I also totally agree that archery and younger hunters can shoot whatever they want. This makes to much sense. There are alot of people that hunt were I live. Everyone I know shoots little bucks. Its super frustrating to pass on a little 6 point and then see it hanging in your neighbors garage, along with 5 other 1.5 year olds deer. More doe permits should be given out to help manage the population when they change to the 4 point rule. I cant wait for this to happen so we all can start seeing some nice bucks.    

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:39 am

Minnesota actually DID institute the 4-point rule this year in southeastern Minnesota during the 3A season. See page 16: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/outdoor_ac ... 9/info.pdf

The main problem I encountered was that no one I talked to even knew about it, including other hunters, the registration station in southeastern Minnesota and the DNR people that were doing CWD testing at the station. I learned of it the night before the gun season, so not sure how much, if at all, this new rule will be followed.

ORIGINAL: RAMBO

Minnesota needs a point system. The opening weekend of gun season 2009 really made me think about things. A 4 point rule during the gun season would be awesome. I also totally agree that archery and younger hunters can shoot whatever they want. This makes to much sense. There are alot of people that hunt were I live. Everyone I know shoots little bucks. Its super frustrating to pass on a little 6 point and then see it hanging in your neighbors garage, along with 5 other 1.5 year olds deer. More doe permits should be given out to help manage the population when they change to the 4 point rule. I cant wait for this to happen so we all can start seeing some nice bucks.    

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:43 am

Wow, I didn't know the DNR was thinking about this at all! I sure hope it's true. I just tried calling the DNR and they're closed for today but I'm going to check tomorrow. It'd be great to have antler restrictions across the state. I would include bow hunting under the restriction but have an exemption for 19 year old and under to shoot what they want. If you need meat for the freezer shoot a doe, not a young buck. Very awesome!

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:57 pm

Any updates? I checked the MNDNR website a couple weeks ago, but couldn't find any new news.

Previous

Return to Minnesota