Are the prices keeping you from buying a safety harness?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
shaman

RE: Are the prices keeping you from buying a safety harness?

Postby shaman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Guys!

If you're worried about the price, check this out for $60. I've seen them as low as $30.

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/ ... p?SKU=6730

I've got one for me and one for each son. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:04 am

Make sure Patriot sees this!!!!
QDM!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:12 am

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Make sure Patriot sees this!!!!

I see it brother.  I have a $50 Cabelas gift card and a $20 Gander gift card.  I'll get one with my next trip there.

In the meantime, I'll have to trust my handy dandy safety belt.[:-]  My main concern is not while actually on stand, it's more climbing in and out.  I only have one stand in particular that is of concern.  Of course that's the one I'll be in Saturday night.

I'm only 33 years old, but am already feeling "old school".  What's up with that?
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:25 am

Done deal! I just ordered two reversible vests by Hunter Safety System, one for my son (Anthony) and one for me! I had a Bass Pro $20 coupon and $17 in rewards points with time running out before the season starts in a couple of weeks. Both vests have shipped and should be here in less than a week.

Anthony doesn't know it yet but I've bought him a climbing tree stand and the safety vest for his 12th birthday on Oct. 22! Because of school Anthony normally only gets to hunt a couple weekends out of the year when we go to the hunting camp in Alabama where we have shooting houses. He has no clue that he'll be able to hunt the weekends with me on the Air Force reservation near where we live. He just thinks I'm going to be out there hunting alone since I'm the only one with a tree stand! I can't wait to see the look on his face when opens his presents and figures out he's going to be hunting with me a lot more than he thought this year!

To answer the post question it's no, prices didn't keep me away from doing what's right and keeping myself and my son safe! Honestly, I won't name names but some of the stories from this forum were more than enough to convince me to buy the safety vests before going up in a tree this season!

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Thats awesome 69viking! I hope you never need it but glad you got one for you and your son.

Good luck hunting with your son.....Im sure you guys will make some special memories this year!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:45 pm

I was out hunting this evening and had my Hunter Safety System vest on. It is the one that is mostly mesh. I was sitting there in the stand and huge doe snuck up from behind me before I ever heard her coming in. I already had my bow on my lap so all I had to do was stand up but she stopped right at the base of my tree and started eating the leaves from brush and vines that were growing around the base of the tree and around the climbing sticks. It was hilarious. I was sitting motionless. She was clueless that I was 18 foot directly above her! I could see looking down between my knees and saw she was beautiful mature doe. She was literally under my feet. She looked up a couple times but kept on going about her eating still clueless I was there. (I had scent lock clothes on, sprayed myself with Cover Scent and sprayed doe pee on the bottom of my shoes as I walked into the woods). After about 4 minutes of here eating, she started moving out from under me but to my right side (I am right handed) which makes for a little more difficult shot, especially from a sitting position. As she moved off about 10 yards I went to move and draw my bow but the MESH part of the vest WAS STUCK TO THE TREE BARK! So as I tried to moved I was hooked into the bark. I moved again as I drew my bow back further and the vest snapped off the bark and made a loud noise. Of course the doe jumped and ran about 35 yards still to my right then stopped and continued eating more grass as if it were no big deal. I am guessing she thought the noise was from a squirrel since there was no threat that she ever recognized while under the tree. Unfortunately, the area she was in was too thick and I could not get a clear shot. Rats!

It was a bummer cause she was huge. I mean she was meaty. Hopefully she'll be around again for another shot.

So, my reason for putting this post here... if you buy a HSS vest, make sure it is solid so you don't have a problem with the mesh grabbing tree bark and messing up your shot opportunity.

B3N1706

Postby B3N1706 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:43 pm

You don't need the latest and greatest. I am sure the HSS vests are much easier to wear but at least for the sake of the people around you (not to mention the pain of laying on a mountain side for hours with broken bones), wear the cheap harness that comes with the tree stands. I don't have money to invest in a HSS but I always put on my strap harness. It's not the most comfortable, but it even helps with getting the best shot angle when you can lean out and turn. Not wearing a harness is not only dangerous but it makes you second guess a shot you may have taken confidently with a harness. 

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:37 pm

I just got the HSS Pro Series vest!  Happy now?[:)]

Looking forward to using it with my soon to be purchased climbing stand.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:23 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I just got the HSS Pro Series vest!  Happy now?[:)]

Looking forward to using it with my soon to be purchased climbing stand.

YES!!!   And I have he same one, bought it in time for my last 3 hunts and boy did it make life easier...and tons of pockets too!!!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:33 am

If you buy a stand now a days they come with them, sure it is bottom line but leverage is all you may need for that split second to save your life and get a grip. So I am with you deanoz. You can't enjoy a hunt without some sort of security in my book, plus it makes the loved ones happier!

PreviousNext

Return to Tree Stands