Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
ChuckNorris

RE: Tips and Tricks For "Ground Pounders"

Postby ChuckNorris » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:33 am

ORIGINAL: postman

Was out still hunting this past saturday, and after constantly fussing with my fanny pack ( it kept falling down) I decided that there has to be a better way to carry gear. I gave up on back packs years ago as I find they make me feel restricted, get caught on brush, and worst of all make my back sweat. When I got home and was thinking of a better way, the answer was hanging right in front of me... my turkey vest. It has more than enough room for all of my gear with room to spare, it's comfortable, and well ventilated. Well on sunday I was out again, this time with the turkey vest and I am quite pleased to say that it really worked well, still no deer yet but at least I was comfortable.

How much gear do you really need on a days hunt? Unless I'm hunting a treestand or planning to sit in the same spot all day, both rarely occur, I only carry a knife, rope, gps/compass, lighter, doe urine, cellphone, and snacks. This all fits in the pockets on my jacket and pants. I sometimes carry a small bottle of water but it adds lots of weight so I usually pack some fruit snacks instead.
It only takes one deer to change a hunt from disappointing to very satisfying.

postman

Postby postman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:14 am

Yeah I'm usually guilty of having too much stuff with me, but I never go into the woods without enough gear to spend the night or longer if I have to.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Yeah I'm usually guilty of having too much stuff with me, but I never go into the woods without enough gear to spend the night or longer if I have to.

Suuuuure you do..Or at least that's what you tell your wife! [:D]

"Uh, honey, I had to spend the night in the woods again, because this BIG 12 pointer bedded down right under my tree after shooting hours! What could I do?"

You can level with us...you're among friends. [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:43 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Suuuuure you do..Or at least that's what you tell your wife! [:D]

"Uh, honey, I had to spend the night in the woods again, because this BIG 12 pointer bedded down right under my tree after shooting hours! What could I do?"

You can level with us...you're among friends. [;)]

Yeah. I can imagine trying to convince my wife of that! NOT!!!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

brian279

Postby brian279 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:50 pm

that would be my story  and i would stick to it lol

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:26 pm

You know, what's funny is that this would be the one excuse that my wife WOULD accept without question, because as far as deer hunting goes, she's pretty much realized that I lost my marbles a LOOONG time ago!

Working late? Flat tire? "Old friend from out of town"? Naaaaah........

Stuck in a treestand? ABSOLUTELY!

I think the time she came home and saw me dryfiring my deer gun at the TV screen with a hunting vid playing (it looks almost REAL when you use a scope!), she realized that I went off the deep end. In fact, she didn't even get mad, or ask what I was doing...she just rolled her eyes, shook her head, and walked into the other room!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

postman

Postby postman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:13 am

Hey. after 20 years of wedded bliss and three kids, a night out is a night out! LOL
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:48 am

i seen on a video whenever you stop try to stop next to a tree big ones work better but small works too anything to breakup your outline works for me had one walk on the other side of the tree i was next to could have knifed it if i had one

Rocky Landsverk

Postby Rocky Landsverk » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:37 am

what a great discussion. a couple things I learned that I hadn't thought about: wear black, since the inside of the blind is black, not camo.

also have to remember about the pins not getting much light because of the black interior. i do have lighted pins so that should take care of that problem.
Rocky Landsverk
Online Product Manager
DeerandDeerHunting.com

brentru

Postby brentru » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:57 pm

I've found when stalking that a leafy suit does a great job in breaking up the human form.  As long as I don't make any big movements, they think that I'm a bush.  Last year, I bumped a doe and was able to draw and let down on her at 25 yards with her staring straight at me and she didn't spook.

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking