2009 Hunting Report

Quickdraw

RE: 2009 Hunting Report

Postby Quickdraw » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Lot to Learn 2,  I got out today and well,it is a real short story,  I was in the stand by 5:15 seen two does in the distance at ealy light.  This buck can in at 7:50 without a doe or a care in the world.  The rest of the very short story is on the photo corner.  Still puzzled why a this Buck was not on a Doe.  22 1/4 inch inside spread.  Grosses 148 and nets 143, good enough for the books.

Thank you to all our Veterans.  Good luck to all.

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:57 pm

I got out today and well,it is a real short story

Congrats on a great buck!!!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:22 am

Beautiful, nice job brother. 

bobow

Postby bobow » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 am

I was able to get out this morning.  I missed a real nice 12 pt at 25 yards a little after 7.  I skip the arrow off a small twig.  Talk about tunnel vision & buck fever [:@]  He laughed at me for several minutes.

I saw another 8 pt at 33 yards but no clear shot.

Have not seen any does lately.

I hope to get out Saturday all day and Sunday.  Sounds like we are in for some light rain.  Corn is still in but maybe the weather will get them moving more?
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:45 pm

I am with you, my shot on my buck this year, I caught a branch but I got lucky, it went to the left and hit his the main artery in his ass.  bleed out real quick. 

Like you, for the last week and a half,  I have only seen a couple of does and a crap load of bucks. (not one with a doe)

I was with my buddy and the taxidermist this morning and they are saying some areas are hot and others are not (With breeding). 

I got a feeling that with the weather and all the corn, alot of the rutting and inital breeding has gone on at night and in the corn fields.  

I got my buck green scored today,  grosses 148"  nets 143"  (not to shabby for an eight pointer.   Even better news,  The farmer on our farm say there is a bigger 12 or 14 pointer out there he kicked up with the combine.  I cant wait to see him in range.   

Good luck all.

slayer

Postby slayer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:07 pm

congrats to all having good luck as for me still slow in henderson county but I have been seeing alot more bucks on thier feet after 9am some bucks are hanging with does but keepin distance I believe that the actual breeding is still a few days off here so look for full rut during gun season good news is I have been after a nice 13 point all year (over 200 pics from spring 160 + inch) and to date I have seen him on average of every other day he is currently with a doe but just tailing her keepin her close but my luck has kept him out of range but at least I know were he is and that he is still alive I have been very carfull not to spook him and with all the east and south wind as of late has caused me to stay out of his main area 4 more days to get it done with the bow good luck to all

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:57 am

slayer, nice buck and good luck with him. I have one patterned also.  We are looking at rain all week, I am thinking about just laying off until gun season.   

slayer

Postby slayer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:54 am

yes rain is expected here the next 3 to 4 days mainly light but they are saying up to 3 inches possible but if its not pouring ill be in the woods just got out of stand eat and back at it the high wind has them slowed up a little bit but I have seen some movement good luck to all

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:26 am

I have not been out for over a week, what is the action like? my scouting trips indicate things have slowed down alot, what say you?

Good news, corn is out on the farm I hunt, The real BAD news is every other farm with in a 3 mile radius still has all of the corn still in. Not looking real good for gun season, I am sure everything has moved on to other standing corn.

Weather report looks like it should be warm for gun opener not to keen about that either.

Good look all, look forward in hearing how things are going in your area.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Well, everyone has been moaning about low numbers... me too!  I hunt public land, and had to work during the gun opener.  75 hunters on opening day and 5 deer taken.  That was the lowest opener the park officials can remember.  Not sure how many deer today (Sat).  I dont have tags for first season, so I had to go "stand-by" and didnt get into the woods until about noon.  I bumped one deer on the way in.  Had a couple of deer running past me out of sight about 30 minutes after being set in my stand, and had another deer coming off of a ridge at last light - also out of sight.

I have seen alot of deer while bow hunting and i like my chances.  I'd like them better if i can get in before light.  (I do have a tag for 2nd season.)

Good luck, all.  Safe hunting!
Semper Fidelis!

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois