Herd management

fatbob240

Herd management

Postby fatbob240 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:31 am

Just a question to throw out: does anybody feel that Michigan is managing their deer herd in the best possible way? How do you feel about changing the 'traditional' start date of firearms season? What about an 'earn a buck' program? How about going to one buck per hunter? I've hunted in Ohio many times and the changes in their deer herd since the state started managing it better is incredible! Northern Michigan deer hunting has become a joke anymore and disappointing at best.
Goal: 1 shot= 1 kill

AlleganBowhunter

RE: Herd management

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:44 pm

In my opinion the best thing the state could do is to go to a one buck a year per hunter. No antler restrictions just one buck per hunter through all the seasons. Get rid of the combo license and force people to be more selective about their bucks, if they want too and be able to take more does in the areas that are over populated. I like the combo tag, not because I could take two bucks, but because I can take two does on public land. Never have, but its nice to be able too. Go from firearm and archery only license to just a antlered deer hunting license valid for all seasons.

I am not a fan of the EAB...seems to be a hot negative topic in Wisconsin, but I have not been keeping up with it over there. As opposed to change and as slowly as it comes here in Michigan, I would think a solution that is long term and sustainable would be best. My fear is once it is established the DNR, NRC or hunters will not be willing to move on once it has done what it can and its time to move onto other forms of management.

I may be unpopular on this point, but I think it is time for a reasonable license fee increase. When was the last time our license fees went up? Off the top of my head it was at least 10 years ago. How much have things changed since then? Salaries, gas cost, cost of any supplies, etc? As much as I don't like spending more money, we are a large part of the DNR's funding and I don't see how we can expect more from them when we aren't willing to give more for it. How much? I don't know. But I think the fee structure should include antlerless licenses that a cheaper than antlered licenses. Especially in areas where there are too many deer.

All the above summed up: Kill the combo and firearm/archery tags, have one antlered deer tag good for only one deer per hunter... with no antler restrictions; a reasonable license fee increase with doe tags markedly cheaper than buck tags... with the license increase smart management of our herd based on areas that are very similar to ours and have been successful.. and management on a smaller basis than currently is done. If I were king for a day...

Stay safe and Happy Hunting!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 am

Hm, I really don't really know a solution to this one. But I will agree that Northern MI hunting has been pretty awful the last 10 years or so. Gotta get the changed...
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

smitty

Postby smitty » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:39 pm

I like the idea of one buck a year.  I dont like the earn a buck because I think to many buttons get killed.  I dont have a problem with someone shooting a button buck if its late in the year and want some meat or someone just made a mistake. 

I wouldnt have a problem with license price increase, but what I do have a problem with is the dnr's money management. 

Im lucky enough to live in the U.P. now but grew up in the lower penn. around Lewiston and you couldnt pay me to hunt down there. 
"Freedom Isn't Free"

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:23 am

Yeah Smitty, that is exactly where I hunt now...east of Lewiston. A lot of people, a lot of doe permits and not a lot of deer. I go to bow camp in Irons and there are a lot more deer in general down there, but then again they do not give out public land doe permits either. As far as I'm concerned, the T.B. thing was just a way for the DNR to sell more permits and make more money. In the long run it just cost the small towns and communities more in lost revenue. 

smitty

Postby smitty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:58 am

Its tough because everybody shoots the first buck they see.  I think the best thing they could do is one buck a year with a antler point restriction.  I dont think they will actually do it untill people just stop buying tags. 
Another reason the dnr will never go for it is the public out cry would be to much.  Not so much because herd management is a bad thing, but I dont know anyone who trusts the dnr.  Due to things like the tb zones, over 1 million to cwd, and going broke then mirachulously finding 1 million in a bank somewhere.  Their credibility is shot!!
"Freedom Isn't Free"

smitty

Postby smitty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:10 am

Sorry this isnt  a dnr bashing thread.  How about not having gun season during the rut.  maybe bow season first two weeks of october, then gun season the next two weeks, then muzzeloader season and back to bow for nov.  and then doe hunts in certian dmu's in december. 
"Freedom Isn't Free"

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:24 am

There are a lot of things that could be done differently but will never change. The really sad part about this is the reputation Michigan hunters get when going out of state. I've heard comments and other people I know have heard them when hunting out of state too. Things like, "I know you're from Michigan, but we like to make sure a buck is over 2 1/2 years old and at least 130" before we shoot it". It's sad when we have a reputation like that and even though this isn't a DNR bashing thread, that is the mentality we're forced to have when hunting in this state. Brown and down....

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:21 pm

ORIGINAL: smitty
I think the best thing they could do is one buck a year with a antler point restriction. 

Smitty... just curious why the APR?  As I said before, think one bucka year would go a long way, just not sure there is a need for APR. 

I do agree with the DNR's management issues but that does belong elsewhere.

Beware... less than 30 hours before we turn the wagons north and head to the UP.  Thanksgiving at the in laws... always good when spend in a UP deer blind!  [sm=s231.gif]
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

smitty

Postby smitty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:15 pm

just curious why the APR?  As I said before, think one bucka year would go a long way, just not sure there is a need for APR. 

I was thinking about this last night and maybe both would be to much.  I like the APR because Ive seen it work, and it is pritty much the only way to ensure most of the bucks killed are a little older.  I think one buck a year would work also I just dont have any personnel experience with it.  
"Freedom Isn't Free"

Next

Return to Michigan