Shed Hunting Dilemma

The popular off-season pastime is quickly becoming a sport itself. Help cure antler illness by sharing your shed hunting tactics.
4khorn

Shed Hunting Dilemma

Postby 4khorn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 am

I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands this year.  For the past 4 years or so I have taken my girlfriend shed hunting on the farm where I hunt.  We have not had a ton of luck, but have managed to find one matched 8 pt set and a spike.  Our trip is very special to me because it is one of the few times i get to spend time with her in the woods (she does not have much interest in actually hunting).  Here is the problem; starting this season, the landowner's nephew and son started hunting the property and I would bet that they will be looking to shed hunt it as well.  How early do you think I should go out looking to increase my chances of getting out before them?

14milecreekbucks

RE: Shed Hunting Dilemma

Postby 14milecreekbucks » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:14 am

In the midwest sheds usually start appearing as early as febuary. It has been my experience that mid to late feb is when most bucks loose their antlers. The healthier a buck is the longer he will keep his antlers.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:06 pm

I agree with 14 on this but the biggest set I have ever found, I found on Jan. 10, 2009. It seems some of the bigger breeders, if you will, run themselves down by this time to a point that they shed earlier than most. My farm is in the middle of West KY, so it wouldn't be that far of base from you. I have several friends that hunt and guide in Pike Co., IL and they all say that their bigger deer shed earlier than most. So you may start looking around the middle to end of this month if you want to get a jump on the others. I also use my cameras to help out with this. I set them up on food sources and as soon as I get the first pic of a buck with a bloody head, I start looking.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:15 pm

I agree with the others, I will usually not start looking until about mid Feb. However here in Iowa we have had an unusual amount of snow this year to date and it is stressing the deer. I have seen numerous bucks with only half a rack already. Its driving me nuts since I have not had a chance to get out yet. You can bet the first chance I get I will though!   Good luck.

Return to Shed Hunting