Anybody seeing any action?

Sailfish

RE: Anybody seeing any action?

Postby Sailfish » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:42 am

My cousin just reported to me today that he is seeing a good amount of deer (a good number of bucks as well). Which based on the tons of cover (the farmers never got the corn out last fall)left from last year on and around our land doesn't surprise me.

He also saw an extremely large buck, with a huge rack "but it was only a 4 pointer".

Yesterday walking from his stand along the corn, he walked almost literally into a buck walking out of the corn. Apparently they were 5' from each other and skeered the bajeezuz out of each other as well [:D]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Bowhunting Junkie

Postby Bowhunting Junkie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:55 am

I was hunting in Battle Creek last weekend. I missed a nice 6 pointer. He was about 40 yards out and I guessed 30. Oh well it happens. Was hunting in Mason on Tuesday and didn't see a thing. Hopefully tonight I get a shot.
Have not seen much so far.

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:46 pm

i hunt 800 acres in manchester seen tons of deer in early gun but soon as it was over all deer went nocternal have'nt hardly seen a thing and my farmers even took off all beans and corn when i was'nt seeing anything for the first 2 weeks still not seeing much  but i have 5 trail cameras out they are going crazy at night i have 150 acres of woods but soon as morning hits nothing not til after dark this is happening all over michigan for the 2nd year it's all because of whoever the smart one was to have this early gun before bow, great going whoever thought of this at dnr, summer my farmers and other farmers around said they never seen so many deer ever they should just start bow early and extend gun a few days for deer management i am way behind the privious years before that early gun and i have deer management tags to if i want them but can hardly fill my own now

Bowhunting Junkie

Postby Bowhunting Junkie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:03 am

badtoys, I am experiencing the same thing.I hunt in Mason and Battle Creek. In both spots this is happening. This past weekend I hunted a property in Battle Creek and I saw one doe on stand. I came in after dark and saw at least three deer within three minutes. Same thing in Mason. After dark I have at least 2 to 3 deer come within bow range. I thought I was the only one that this was happening to.

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:06 am

it's because of this early gun crap [:@] why don't dnr ask hunters before doing this stuff my idea makes much more sence

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:19 am

This full moon last week and the horrible winds did NOT help anything either! It seems like everything just shut down and the deer only moved at night. The only action I saw from my stand was from turkeys and luckily I had a turkey tag! [:D] I shot a 23 pound tom with an 11" beard and one-inch spurs with my bow from my tree stand. Made the disappointment from not seeing any deer a little more bearable.
Goal: 1 shot= 1 kill

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:56 am

Quite a lot of activity in the St Johns area.

I shot over the nicest buck I've ever seen on Saturday night. He came in early and was chasing does all around, finally 45 min later he presented me the shot I want. Bow drawn, him quartering away a bit. A little grunt to stop him in his tracks, place the red pin right where I want it...release.....TWANG hits the tree behind him.

WTF! I'm thinking. It all felt so good. I wait a bit, go retrive the arrow. Beside myself at missing the shot. It wasn't until the next day that I realized it. The bow I'm used to has a red pin for the 10 yard shot, my new bow I have it set for 20. My brain must have ignored the other two pins and just found the red one because that's what I'm used to at that distance. I was holding for 20, he was standing at about 8, and it sailed right over him.

My grandpa saw him run by after I spooked him, said its the biggest deer he's seen on his property and he's lived there for 40 years.

This was the first arrow I've ever fired at an animal. Live and learn I guess. :(

Bowhunting Junkie

Postby Bowhunting Junkie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:35 am

Finally, shot a doe yesterday. Just wanted some meat for the freezer!

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:27 am

Saw a lot of action on opening day from 11 AM on. Passed on a small spike and my bad luck continued...Had to park in a different area and got turned around in the dark, got to my stand late. Deer scent spilled in my bibs and soaked the only hat I had with me. Got too cold and eventually had to put the hat on[:'(]. Shot at a nice racked buck but hit the sapling 20 feet in front of me that I didn't pick up in the scope[:@]. Had a young bear around my stand from 8-9AM. He seemed confused from all of the action and new smells in the woods, but that was about the only good part of my day. 
Goal: 1 shot= 1 kill

c.trafford

Postby c.trafford » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:27 pm

cool weather is always nice to have but don't forget that deer also are affected by the position of the moon. when the moon is at it's lowest point and at it's highest point the deer are natuarlly going to move no matter the temp while in the rut, but will still move more on those few days.get your local moon chart from the dnr or local hunting store. also,now that the rut has past alot of deer are tired and maybe wore out from the mating and running, so you wanna use calls that are friendly calls and also feeding calls,they may be intimidated to come in on other calls due to exhaustion.but watch your moons and use those calls that say "hey,come on over here and hang with me", and maybe you have some luck. let me know how your hunt is and be safe. 
WABBLE LABBLE DING DONG

Previous

Return to Michigan