Bachelor Groups

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
Goose

Bachelor Groups

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Lets say you got a group of bucks at the end of summer going into fall. One of them is a 2.5 and the other 2 are 3.5's. They hang out together and feed in the same field together. Bachelor group right? Alright now come fall when they split up which one do you think will get "that area" Do you think the dominant one of the three will stay there or is there no set way? You would think that if they are all there it has to be a good area right? So you would think that the most dominant one would want that area as a core area right?? We had this scenario happen this summer and the smaller of the 3.5's seems to be the one that ended up calling it home. What are your thoughts on this?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeerCamp

RE: Bachelor Groups

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:02 pm

my feelings are the dominant one would stay in the area. However I wouldnt just say the younger deer got the area for your land. The other 2 may be around you just dont know it. Also I would be pleased to have deer like that in my area. Keep in mind that with the rut approaching, they will be back.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:53 am

Hey Goose.

How much land are you talking about? If this is a descent size tract of land, I would say that they are all around still. The other bucks may have come from another area where there are plentiful does and went back there. Maybe they weren't happy with what was around there. Maybe they weren't fighters.

As you can tell, there are a lot of maybes. There is no "one set answer" for deer behavior. They all have personalities, jut like us. You may even see new bucks come into your area that weren't there before.

Sorry if this was confusing.

Good luck figuring it out though.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:08 pm

Yeah I know its confusing. We got 50 acres and the only food source in our block. I was just wondering if there was a norm for the way bachelor groups split up. We have seen or got pics of them all but its seems the smaller 3.5 is seen alot more.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Goose,

My thoughts are that you should take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt a 3 1/2 year old buck![:D]

By the way I love that qoute.  I was wondering which version of the bible you got that from? My King James doesn't read quite like that.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:27 am

I don't know if it helps, but last year I had two bachelor groups using the same food source all summer. Both groups were made up of 2.5 year olds and older.  During the season at some point I saw all the bucks using the food source.  One awesome evening in November I think I had them all but one out in the food source chasing two or three does. 
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:51 am

Arrowsmith, both my NIV and NLT versions have it like that. Thanks OHhunter theres still hope.
Jake

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:24 am

In my opinion a dominant buck or any buck for that matter will bed up in the safest place closest to the best food available at the time. A buck stays bedded unless there is a reason to move, a need for food, water, or hot does during the rut. Somewhere I read that a buck spends 70% of his life on his belly chewing his cud or resting.

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:49 am

I believe they would spar it out.  

BROWNING7WSM

Postby BROWNING7WSM » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:53 am

I think the area remains to the Dominant Buck..  Sure, other Bucks will be around, but when a hot Doe arrives, he'll be running them off.

Next

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management