Ammo Shortage

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
mightyfofaad

Ammo Shortage

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:44 am

This is a reprint from Gun Digest.

Bullets Speeding Faster Out of Gun Shops in U.S.
November 04, 2009
Summary

In a year of job losses, foreclosures and bag lunches, Americans have spent record-breaking amounts of money on guns and ammunition. The most obvious sign of their demand: empty ammunition shelves.

At points during the past year, bullets have been selling faster than factories could make them.

Gun owners have bought about 12 billion rounds of ammunition in the past year, industry officials estimate. That's up from 7 billion to 10 billion in a normal year.

It has happened, oddly, at a time when the two concerns that usually make people buy guns and bullets -- crime and increased gun control -- seem less threatening than usual.
The explanation for the run on bullets lies partly in economics: Once rounds were scarce, people hoarded them, which made them scarcer.

But the rush for bullets, like this year's increase in gun sales, also says something about how suspicious the two sides in the gun-control debate are of each other, even at a time when the issue is on Washington's back burner.

The run started, observers say, as people heeded warnings from the gun-rights lobby that a new Democratic administration would make bullets more expensive or harder to get. Now that the shortage is starting to ease, gun-control groups are voicing their own dark worries about stockpiled ammunition.

In between, in the 12 months since last October, gun shops sold enough bullets to give every American 38 of them.

"We've had people buy ammunition for calibers they don't even have the gun for: 'Oh, I want to get this gun eventually. And when I get it, ammunition may be hard to get,' " said Michael Tenny, who runs a Fort Worth-based Internet sporting goods store called Cheaper Than Dirt. Read more

BTW: Under normal conditions, MidwayUSA & Cheaper than dirt usually have a good supply of reasonably priced ammo.

How hard has it been to get ammo in your area?

Dan Salmon

RE: Ammo Shortage

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:41 pm

They haven't been hard to get, its having to pay 2 to 3 times the price of what they should be that has been hard to deal with.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:44 am

The two Wal-Mart stores closest to me have been out of Remington Core Lokt 30-06 165 gr for well over a month. The one closest to me got in a good deal of 150 gr but the last time I went back they were all gone. When asked when they would get the 165's back in (both stores) they said 4-6 weeks which I was amazed by since Wal Marts supply chain is so efficient. But both of their ammo displays have looked absolutely bare.

One of the local shops have been out also and his shelves are looking bare on all ammo as well.

Cabela's also had a sale on this ammunition and when I went to order some it was out of stock and again, several weeks before it came in again.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:23 am

Tough to get here as well.
Even on-line is tough.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:12 am

I use Federal Fusion 30-06 and have'nt had any problems finding it. Maybe I'm just in the right place at the right time. It has'nt gone up in price too much either I don't think. I usually pay about $25 per box, give or take.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:37 am

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

I use Federal Fusion 30-06 and have'nt had any problems finding it. Maybe I'm just in the right place at the right time. It has'nt gone up in price too much either I don't think. I usually pay about $25 per box, give or take.

Actually, $25 bucks for Federal Fusion is a good price. What type of store are you buying it from? Local gun shop or Walmart type store? Curious. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:49 am

WalMart has had the best prices for most ammo around here . The main Rochester Ammo Supplier has been slow at getting re-supplied , even for bullets for reloading .
Semper Fi !

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:51 am

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

First off, I love your avatar. Secondly, I've been finding it real hard to find most everything at the local shops. I'm glad I started stocking up 4-5 years ago.
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:13 pm

mightyfofaad, I don't know if you are familiar with Fleet Farm? That is usually where I get it from. I may have picked up a box or two at WallyWorld. Don't really remember. Have'nt bought any for awhile.

Challenger, thanks![:D]  I kinda did some stocking up within the last year also. When I went looking for ammo last year I had a hard time finding it. So now I make sure to grab a box periodically throughout the year instead of waiting for the season.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:47 am

Ok, I'm not really on the up and up on the cost it takes to build a bullet, but question for everyone.  I have both a smooth bore and rifled slug guns....I can get slugs for my smooth bore for average cost of less than $1 a round.  Jump to my sabot slugs for my rifled gun, and every time I shoot, I'm throwing $5 give or take out the window.  Any ideas on this?
QDM!

Next

Return to Guns and Ammo