Scent Lures and Dispensers

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
HiddenHornsRanch

Scent Lures and Dispensers

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:14 pm

As many of you know there are now various dispensers such as regular scent wicks, the scent dripper, and code blue to name a few...then there are many lures such as active scrape, tinks, and code blue also...do any of yall use the dispensers, and if you do or not, which of of the lure do you use and have they proven effective? I am doing this more for  a class project on the effect of lures on drawing whitetails so any replies will be appreciated!
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

cannycorn2000

RE: Scent Lures and Dispensers

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:21 am

I have used a scent dripper with Active Scrape in conjunction with a man made scrape, with minimal results.  Secnt wicks tied to my boots to make a scent drag, yet again with minimal results.

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:40 am

I've had more luck with some drag wicks and a few drops of scent on a stump or a leaf. Haven't had much mock scape luck and I've tried a few different scrape products. It's probably my area that keeps the mock scrapes unused.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:19 pm

i slip a old clean scent free sock over my boots and spray with wildlife research golden estrous and walk to my stands.i also make my own scent cans out of used 35m film cans tied to spring type cloths pins.i set these up at my max shooting distance in all 4 directions
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:37 pm

I use Woods Walker's special urine lure in scrapes. It comes with it's own multi-function dispenser, it works, and best of all it's FREE!  [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:34 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I use Woods Walker's special urine lure in scrapes. It comes with it's own multi-function dispenser, it works, and best of all it's FREE!  [:)]

LMAO...nice Woods!!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:02 am

I have tried almost everything there is to try and have had some luck at some point with most of it.

I Believe that each scent has its own place and time that it works but finding that place and time can sometimes be more hassle then its worth.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:17 am

ORIGINAL: HiddenHornsRanch

As many of you know there are now various dispensers such as regular scent wicks, the scent dripper, and code blue to name a few...then there are many lures such as active scrape, tinks, and code blue also...do any of yall use the dispensers, and if you do or not, which of of the lure do you use and have they proven effective? I am doing this more for  a class project on the effect of lures on drawing whitetails so any replies will be appreciated!
I've used the scrape dripper made by WLRC several seasons.  I believe that the dripper helps draw in more bucks during the late morning hours. The code blue dripper looks to be the best on the market, because you can set it for dawn and dusk, a feature not common in other products.  As for the scent I use, I mainly like to use estrus urine, but have had good results with active scrape, and just dominate buck urine. If the area smells like deer have been using it daily, then some of the local herd will investigate the intruders, and possiable mates.   
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:33 am

ORIGINAL: WayneL

I've had more luck with some drag wicks and a few drops of scent on a stump or a leaf. Haven't had much mock scape luck and I've tried a few different scrape products. It's probably my area that keeps the mock scrapes unused.
Something to remember when making scrapes, is that most bucks will only wind check(smell) the scrape from a distance. Some will work the over hang branch, and a few will make small scrapes near by the mock scrape. Many will just slip by to sight check the scrape area for doe's. The point is that I actually see many more bucks using my scrape area's, then the actual deer sign indicates. I also get alot more night time activity at scrapes. I feel anything that gets deer active in your hunting area, is a plus, and atleast worth a few seasons of research to prove it works. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Return to Best Practices