Exercise/Routine of the Week

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

RE: Exercise/Routine of the Week

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:22 am

11/02/2009 - 11/07/2009: The Duck Walk

A lot of the exercises I have shared have been specific to the tree stand hunter. It is high time we offer something for the hunter who likes to spend his/her tome on the ground, stalking or still hunting.

The duck walk is an excellent bodyweight movement that works your legs, hips, and core. Anyone who has had to move quietly in a couch for any length of time can attest to this. Performing the duck walk can help you build this strength so that you can perform better on your next stalk.

Pretty simple. Drop down onto your haunches while keeping your head and torso erect. Walk like a duck, striving to move your upper body as little as possible. Do this 4-6 times, for a distance of 30-50 feet, resting 30-60 seconds between each set.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:41 am

11/09/2009 - 11/15/2009: Extreme Shooting Gallery

Gun season is just around the corner for many of us. This workout is loosely adapted from one found on www.militaryathlete.com It is a great way to test your shooting skills and get/keep in shape.

In order to perform this routine you will need 10 inflated party balloons, a backboard, a safe shooting range and a firearm. A quick note about the firearm: Ideally we would perform this with the gun that we are going to hunt with, but most ranges would not allow this sort of thing. I suggest using a pellet gun, or even an air-soft gun so that you can perform this workout at home.

Set up the routine by taping all 10 party balloons to the backstop, at a range that challenges your shooting ability in the standing position. Prepare your firearm, lay out ammo and safety check the range. Okay now you are ready.

- Perform 5 burpees (post #8)
- Pop one balloon
Continue until all 10 balloons have been popped or ten minutes has passed. The goal is to pop all 10 balloons as fast as possible.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:35 pm

Great posts Joe...Keep it up!  Love the pic of you dragging your doe out!
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:01 pm

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Haha! Thanks man.

I thought I was the only one still looking at this thread. I would have given up on it, but I promised to do it for a year. Glad to know someone still checks it out.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:51 am

11/16/2009 - 11/22/2009: Simple Circuit

I'm late, I know. I've been sitting in the cabin listening to the rain on the roof all week, but I was thinking of you guys.

This week's routine is a simple, total body circuit that will only take 20 minutes. All you need is a pull-up bar and a little space. If at all possible, open a clear and straight path, 30-50', between your pull-up bar and a clean section of floor. If you use a commercial gym, this should not be too hard to find.

Perform as many rounds of the following as possible, in 20 minutes:
- Pull-ups X 5 (if you need help see: http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=23630
- Walking lunge X 30-50' (see post #5)
- Push-ups X 10 (see post #26)
- Duck walk X 30-50' (see post #51)
- Rest only as needed.

Enjoy!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:07 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: buckhunter21

Haha! Thanks man.

I thought I was the only one still looking at this thread. I would have given up on it, but I promised to do it for a year. Glad to know someone still checks it out.

Hey no problem...I think it's a great addition!  As cheesy as it sounds, keeping healthy and in shape will not only keep us in the woods longer each year, but also hopefully extend our lives so we're able to enjoy it more, not only with ourselves, but with friends and family. 

Keep it up!
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:08 pm

11/23/2009-11/29/2009: Jump Rope Basics

Jump ropes are one of the most efficient pieces of cardio training equipment in existence. They cost next to nothing, can be used almost anywhere, and can fit in your back pocket. So why aren't they very popular in today's exercise world? Two reasons. You can't get rich selling them and most people don't know how to use them.

Good news! I gave up on getting rich a long time ago and I found a tutorial video on www.crossfit.com that does a great job of demonstrating how to use a jump rope.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_BuddyLeeIntroJumpRope.wmv

If you are not a jump roper, go get yourself a jump rope and take the time to watch this video. Stick with it for the whole 3 minutes. After he gets done trying to sell his jump ropes and showing off, he provides an excellent intro to the basics.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:20 am

11/30/2009-12/5/2009: The Bear Crawl

This week's exercise is an oldie but a goodie. The description comes from a web site I just stumbled onto http://animalexercises.com/index.html If you are looking for low-tech, high-effect exercises that you can perform without a gym, check out this site.

"Bear crawl is a very basic animal exercise, simply walk on all fours. Try moving with your hands in front of you, not underneath you. Bear crawl is good for muscle development in both legs and shoulders. For the novice it can serve as a strength exercise while for the seasoned athlete as a conditiong exercise." The intensity of the bear crawl can be modified by performing any number of variations. Check the above link for more.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:12 am

12/06/2009-12/12/2009: Virtual Shoveling

Okay I'm way late on this one, but I was gun hunting right up until we got hit with a blizzard. At least you will understand my inspiration for this installment.

The virtual shovel is yet another low-tech, high-effect, total-body exercise. You will need a 45lb. olympic bar, a 25-45 lb. plate, and a good collar.

Attach the plate to one end of the bar. Grasp the bar and lift it up and over a barrier approx. 24" high. return to the starting position and repeat. Perform 3-4 rounds of 10-20 reps per side, with rest periods of 30-60 seconds.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlA8Xzz_ts

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:09 am

12//13/2009 - 12/19/2009: Standing Broad Jump

Again, keeping it simple. No equipment and just a little space needed. Just wear good shoes and use a forgiving surface.

We tend to overlook the importance of explosive strength as it relates to the average person or hunter. While you may not be out there sprinting, explosive power is the power that you or I will draw on when we attempt to recover our balance or react to a suprise. These things happen while hunting and they are a common source of injury.

Anyway, you will remeber the broad jump from 5th grade gym class. Only back then they used it as a test, rather than a workout. For our purposes, we will set a distance that is considerably shorter than your maximum broad jump (whatever that may be). Strive to span the distance in a way that allows both feet to leave the ground and hit the ground together.

You can perform them in sets, say 20 reps with a short rest and repeat 2-3 times. Or you can perform them for time, say one minute of broad jumps, one minute of rest and repeat 2-3 times. Or you can perform them for density, say five minutes of broad jumps, striving to do as many as you can in that period.

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness