kisser button or peep sight??

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Everyday Hunter

RE: kisser button or peep sight??

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:37 pm

I use both.

To hold my pants up, I wear a belt. But I'm thinking maybe I should add suspenders. [:D]

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:30 am

When I first started bowhunting at 11 we used kisser buttons on our recurves but when we switched to compounds we got rid of the kisser button . I guess I dont understand the need for a kisser button . Most bows are equipped with draw stops . Even before the draw stop I always thaught if you were at full draw with the pin centered in the peep and released properly you would hit where you were aiming . 
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:50 am

ORIGINAL: MoDeer

When I first started bowhunting at 11 we used kisser buttons on our recurves but when we switched to compounds we got rid of the kisser button. I guess I dont understand the need for a kisser button. Most bows are equipped with draw stops. Even before the draw stop I always thaught if you were at full draw with the pin centered in the peep and released properly you would hit where you were aiming.

You're right. There really is no need for a kisser button. One could also argue that a baby does not need a security blanket. He is secure without it. But it gives him the feeling of security. Likewise, (not intending to compare some shooters with babies), it makes some shooters more comfortable.

Since all we need for accurate sighting is three points, we really don't need the peep either. We need (1.) the eye; (2.) the pin; (3.) the target. What the peep does is insure that our eye is lined up as one of those straight-line coordinates.

The kisser button can help do that in the absence of the peep, but the kisser button is not part of the sighting alignment. Shooters who use a kisser use it to give themselves a consistent anchor point. Some shooters use a knuckle placed in a specific spot on their face, jaw, neck, whatever. Those who have trouble with a consistent anchor point can remedy that problem with a kisser button. Most people who use a kisser button and a peep could learn to shoot without the kisser. Most probably could also learn to shoot without the peep.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

MoDeer

Postby MoDeer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:22 am

I sure wasnt trying to knock anyone for using one . Whatever makes you comfortable and confident is what you should do . 
  Its been more than 30 years since I had heard about a kisser button (I live a sheltered life) and was kind of surprised they were still around . I was just curious as to what benefits were gained by using one . I have always viewed my pin and peep sight as being the same as a scope on a rifle .
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:03 pm

Well Steve , why bother using a bow ? Why not just stab a deer with an arrow ? Get rid of the kisser button , peep sight , the pin and the bow .
Semper Fi !

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:07 am

I'll hang on to my bow ;) But ya'll can have your peeps, kissers and pins. You dont NEED any of those to be accurate. :D :D
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:22 am

I wish I could shoot as well as those that don't need all the gadgets but for me I have to kiss the button, touch the string to my nose, put a knuckle under my ear, and center the sight ring in my peep to get consistent accuracy. It is a frustrating battle when my form suddenly slips a bit and I am suddenly off. The more reference points I have the easier for me to figure out what I am doing wrong and how to correct it.

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:31 am

I used to have both but when I got my new bow (2 yrs old now) I dropped the kisser.  It was a little uneasy at first but with practice I got used to relying on my anchor point. 
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:43 am

I use only the peep.  I always anchor via touching my thumb knuckle against the back of my jaw bow. 

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:03 am

Just the peep, but thought about adding a kisser for added confirmation of a sound anchor.  I suppose the string touching the tip of my nose is enough though.  I usually wear a full mask, so maybe a kisser would not work if installed and I wouldn't be able to corner it in my mouth.  Oh well, I'm shooting 3" groups out to 50 yds lately, so I really don't think it's necessary, but I could be wrong. 
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting