Deer withou G1's

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
yayo84

Deer withou G1's

Postby yayo84 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:34 pm

I have several young deer from 5 to 6 pointers but without G1's should I get shoot this type of deer, any help is appreciated.

MoDeer

RE: Deer withou G1's

Postby MoDeer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:31 am

What deer to shoot is a question only you can answer . If you would be happy shooting one of those deer then shoot one . If not then let them grow another year or two . The brow tines should grow in next year .
   I would pass on them and see what they turned into in a couple of years .
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:16 am

If your reason for shooting them is to try to alter the genetics of your herd, then the answer is no. You won't be able to alter the genetics of a wild deer herd by shooting a few bucks.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:33 am

Welcome to the D&DH forums, Gerardo.

ORIGINAL: yayo84

I have several young deer from 5 to 6 pointers but without G1's should I get shoot this type of deer, any help is appreciated.

Some people think that the lack of G1 points is a genetic factor, but the truth is that almost all bucks that are permitted to mature will end up with G1 points. So, the fact that a young deer doesn't have them is no indication that he will not get them next year. So, the lack of G1 points is no reason to cull the deer. And, as ranwin33 pointed out, you cannot influence the genetics of a free-ranging wild herd by selectively killing bucks.

First, antler size and formation is due to age, so let your bucks grow up.
Second, it's due to nutrition, so do what you can to provide for their year-round nutritional needs.
Third, it's due to genetics, but with deer free to disperse from your property and other deer free to enter your property, genetics is something you cannot control.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:12 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

Welcome to the D&DH forums, Gerardo.

ORIGINAL: yayo84

Some people think that the lack of G1 points is a genetic factor, but the truth is that almost all bucks that are permitted to mature will end up with G1 points. So, the fact that a young deer doesn't have them is no indication that he will not get them next year. So, the lack of G1 points is no reason to cull the deer. And, as ranwin33 pointed out, you cannot influence the genetics of a free-ranging wild herd by selectively killing bucks.

First, antler size and formation is due to age, so let your bucks grow up.
Second, it's due to nutrition, so do what you can to provide for their year-round nutritional needs.
Third, it's due to genetics, but with deer free to disperse from your property and other deer free to enter your property, genetics is something you cannot control.

Steve

+1 Excellent input on the subject Everyday Hunter! There's really not anything more to add, you hit it spot on!

yayo84

Postby yayo84 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:55 pm

[font=calibri]Thanks Everyday Hunter for your input you been a lot of help[/font]

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:30 pm

First of all how old are these deer? If they are 2.5 or older you need to get them out of the herd because yes you can alter genetics even in the wild.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management