Which is better?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
sfd546

Which is better?

Postby sfd546 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Just wandering, during peak rut, which is better to hunt, fields edges  or inside the woods?

passin through

RE: Which is better?

Postby passin through » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:20 pm

My self, I like the field edges.  The best buck i have ever taken in Louisiana fell in a small field because he couldn't take his eyes off a doe.  I was sitting in a box blind reading a book by Larry Wieshun and only half heartedly paying attention.  I heard noise coming out of a grown up pasture and had a young doe pop out at about 75 yds...Ok...went back to reading before the brain kicked in.  Too much noise for one deer to make.  When the Sad Daddy popped out in the same place I was reaching for my new encore....busted...he looked right at me.  But the doe had stopped on the other side of the field and raised her tail and looked over her shoulder at him with a come hither look.  When he looked at her, I got the gun up and on him as he walked up to her to do his/their business.  He died hopeful[:D]  Ever since then I am in the edge of the fields/plots when the rut peeks.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:05 pm

YES!  That's why I stillhunt during this time.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:08 pm

I guess it depends on what you call peak rut. If peak rut is the chasing phase then i pick field edges for sure. If peak rut is the peak of the breeding cycle then im looking for where the does call home and im getting in there real close to the bedding areas.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:45 am

The chasing phase has been for a bit here in Western New York . The doe tend to go to the middle of the fields to stay away from the bucks . I had been hunting along the edge of hedgerows with the bow but the doe were way out in the fields .
Gun season opens this Saturday . I will have the 12 gauge opening day and then start using the muzzle loader .Depending on the reaction of the deer , I might take a pistol along and see about getting another deer that way .
Back to the topic ----- once the shooting starts , the deer tend to run along the hedgerows / field edges so they will have some cover . THat's the place to be .
During the peak rut , I used to have good luck hunting the woods on my sister in laws property but I have to walk through an overgrown area that doesn't drain . The ground will suck the boots off your feet . The when you get a deer , it is a real chore getting it out . Hunting the woods is great if the ground conditions are okay .
Like Woodswalker said , stillhunting works during this phase ..............

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:53 am

Field edges are nice but it depends on how much hunting pressure there is. Its heavy where i hunt so the more mature bucks stick to cover till dark or just before dark. Because of the heavy hunting pressure i hunt transition areas close to the current preferred food source. I look for a spot about 50 yrds into to woods thats elevated and have several trails converge onto one another. Deer seem to stage at points inside the woods where they can have a good visual of the area inside and outside of the woods before going to field. But more importantly hunt the wind. Cruisin bucks stay downwind of areas scent checking for hot does. Another technique used by many is to post up on the local doe population. Go right to the source of the rut.  
Venison - the other red meat

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:45 am

Id sit on the inside corner of the field facing the woods.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:16 am

does linger in fields a little longer during the chase phase it seems like, but they'll go bed in the woods too. if i see any does in the fields in the morning ill set up on them, if not ill get close to a doe bedding area. and in the evenings i setup on fields

Return to General Discussions