2009 Deer Seson

plt3028

RE: 2009 Deer Seson

Postby plt3028 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:46 pm

hello everyone, this is really my first season deer hunting, years ago i used to hunt peasant with a shot gun, but deer hunting has bitten me like you read about. my boss asked me if i was going to hunt this year,and i said i dont have a bow..the next day his hand-me-down was on my welding bench at work. that was oct 2nd, and until that afternoon, i had never even drawn a bow. i bought a tree stand, and found a spot on local conservation land in zone 9. the first day i scouted the area, my boss and i spotted 7 deer, 4 bucks in a bachelor group, and in the general area, 3 doe. ive been keeping a logbook of each day hunting, and sunday afternoon area scouts. since oct 4th ive seen in close proximity of my stand, 19 deer sightings. call it rookie luck, or curse, (because i've yet to get my first kill). but i consider a successful hunt, by being within shooting range, sometimes even closer, which is so exciting with that doe just under your stand ( i dont have a doe permit)... i could go on and on, but i wont right now.
I have found a sport i can say i am passionate about

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi there plt3029 welcome to the forums! Glad to hear that your seeing deer out in the woods. Im hunting towns in zones 9 and 10. (Franklin and Weston) I was out Thursday morning and saw what I thought was a horse walking 200 yards away through a field adjacent to the property Im hunting in Weston. I put the binocs up and as I did the "horse" turned it's head and the enormous 10 - 12 point rack materialized out of thin air. The homeowner where I'm hunting said she saw a "big" deer with horns on it but Oh My God! If I should be lucky to get this buck in range I would be one very happy camper. I hope that you have luck with your hunt and remember that archery ends tomorrow and there's no hunting the week of Thanksgiving!!! I don't know how new you are to hunting but some people forget about the "week off" between seasons. If you get on post some picks and make sure you smile!!!

Andy
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

plt3028

Postby plt3028 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:17 am

Hi Woodsalta,
Thursday was a "good" morning, got in my stand about 5:15...very frosty,and still on my acorn flat staring off towards the cattails, and water. Like a ghost appearing, was a good size doe just off to the left, stomping her foot, and looking in my direction. i didn;t move a muscle, and she came within 10 feet of my ladder! I didn't get "busted", sort of speak, but she knew something was up. She was leaning way over, trying to conceal herself behind a small spuce, it was pretty comical! she strolls off, and about 20 minutes later, here comes this 6 pointer trotting like he was late for an appointment or something. lol
I give him a quick grunt and he stops. But then he starts going back the way he came, I grunt again, quick and short, he stops, wheels around and starts in my direction, I was psyched! He stops puts his nose up and walks up this knoll, about 40 yards out of my range. he goes up on this "ridge", and was scraping, and rubbing to beat the band. I watched him with my binoccs for like 10 min. but he wouldn't come any closer...then I see nothing for the rest of the day.
Yesterday, last day, I bounced a deer, dont know if it was a buck or doe, going to my stand, all i saw was huge white tail leaping away...during the off season I'll have to clear an alternate route to by stand, because i think i'm being detected way to early.
Im aware of the hunting break this up-coming week, but i will be going to my stand armed only with my camera. I dont use a shotgun, or muzzle loader, but will be hunting til the 31st of Dec. with my bow...I'm addicted!

Massdeer

Postby Massdeer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:19 pm

This will be my first year hunting. I unfortunately didn't have time to get out and get a bow, but I will be shotgun hunting in zone 9 come the Monday after Thanksgiving. I also haven't been able to get out and do much scouting but I know that there are deer in the area. I'm going to set up a ground blind on Friday. I'll report back on how I do.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:28 am

I went out Saturday morning with my 8 year old and we didn't see anything in the stand. We were on the way home and when we got to the main road there was a huge 8 point standing 15 feet off the road in the ladies back yard. We sat in the truck and watched him and he didn't seem frightened at all. We then noticed that the tall grass started moving and out popped a doe. Now we knew why the buck didn't want to leave, he was locked onto the doe. It was pretty cool to see this happen in front of you. You see it all the time on the TV shows but to share that moment with my daughter was very cool!
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:45 am

Sounds like the rut is heating up to the south!
I'm in NH, and finally seeing rubs and scrapes starting to pop up!
Headed out tommorow, and hopefully will at least see one!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Previous

Return to Massachusetts