Upper Penninsula Hunting Report

DeerCamp

RE: Upper Penninsula Hunting Report

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:39 am

Looks like its going to rain in the UP where Im at.. Hoping it just passes by.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

smitty

Postby smitty » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:46 am

The deer are really starting to moving here in mid menominee.  My wife leaves for work at about 2:30 in the morning and last week she saw two smaller bucks chasing doe's.  But we really need a cold snap.  The first week of october was great but this weather is bad.  It was 65 deg yesterday!!   
"Freedom Isn't Free"

yooper

Postby yooper » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:22 pm

I live in the Chatham/Trenary area and the deer numbers seem to be way down this year.  Hunting every night but only see a few does and not much buck sign??

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:25 pm

Well I got my gear all packed and Im ready to go.. Ill be leaving about 4am Thursday morning.. Ill slip in set my blind up and throw a few sugar beats out and wait for first light come Nov 15th. Ahhhh gotta love Deer Camp!
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:44 am

Lucky SOB, haha, what I would give to be at deer camp right now. Good luck!
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:38 am

The greatest time of year, year!!! donna donna dunt.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:12 pm

Any updates for the UP?

Talking to my father in law (he lives in Rapid River) no one he is talking to has been seeing many deer in the Delta county area.  FIL is blaming it on the warm weather, but I am thinking last winter hit the herd harder than he thinks. 

Either way I can't wait to come up there over Thanksgiving.  Have a few tricks up my sleeve to try out!  [8D]

Is the story the same around the UP?
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

axtellj

Postby axtellj » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Its the same story in the whole U.P.  I don't know if its necessarily the hard winter or the wolf population or the weather, but the deer just don't seem to be moving.  I havent hunted yet but talked to a lot of people who just arent seeing anything.  My buddy used to see 20 deer a night and he hasn't even had to put out 2 gallons of bait since season started because they haven't ate any of it.  I have talked to about 4 different people who have seen wolves actually chasing deer in their sits.  I hope wolves is definately not the problem, but I fear they are only going to get worse untill we are able to hunt them in the future.  We had a lot of deer on trail camera early in the year and eating bait during bow season on our land and now they to have disappeared so I am not positive.  Hope I can get a better read on it as I am heading up there tomorrow for 8 days of hunting.

smitty

Postby smitty » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:59 am

My mother in law went south across the bridge and said there was a sign that said the harvest was down 40%.  She also said the toll both attendant commented that most of the hunters complained they only say wolves and coyotes.  I dont know that the dogs are as big a problem as the weather.  In menominee  yesterday was the only overcast and rainy day yet.  thanks giving week is looking a little better
"Freedom Isn't Free"

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Hey axtellj, just FYI you might wanna let your buddy kno that baiting is illegal now. We had the DNR show up at our deer camp (half mile of the road, way back all by itself) on opening day. They then walk all around the woods around our cabin and found an old salt lick my grandpa put last year, made us get rid of it and then searched all of our other stuff.

Just somethin to be careful about.
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan