Best of luck on the NY opener

Everyday Hunter

Best of luck on the NY opener

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:06 am

I'm all ready. I hope everyone else is, too. Best of luck to all New York hunters on tomorrow's opening day, and stay safe.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

nhdeerchaser

RE: Best of luck on the NY opener

Postby nhdeerchaser » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:16 am

I'll extend a big ol' safe hunting opener to my NY brothers!
Best of luck, and please stay safe!
I have relations down in Copake, and I keep saying I'm gonna get down there to do some deer hunting!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:36 pm

Don't forget to wear some ORANGE . There are folks that get careless when they shoot . Good luck to everyone . I have a tent blind set up in Geneseo in case it rains . I am taking the ML opening day .
Semper Fi !

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:39 am

Here's what they look like.

He won't make "Big Buck of the Day," but he's good enough for my first NY buck. I heard him grunting around 7:00 AM, and it was too dark to see. I could hear sticks breaking below me. I bleated back, but he didn't respond. He grunted again at about 7:20, and chased a doe by me. I bleated with my voice to get them to stop, and then liberated his heart from his aorta. He went about 60 yards and piled up.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:13 am

Best of luck everyone!!!

Congrats Steve! He's a nice buck! I also like the shotgun.
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:39 am

ORIGINAL: reeper0697

Congrats Steve! He's a nice buck! I also like the shotgun.

Thanks, but as you can see, that shotgun packs a mean punch. And this was using Lightfield 2¾" Lites (reduced recoil.) It's the fourth time this shotgun has done this to me -- twice while shooting at turkeys. I need my gunsmith to do something like this before I develop a need for reconstructive surgery.

Good hunting!

Steve

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:05 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

Here's what they look like.
He won't make "Big Buck of the Day," but he's good enough for my first NY buck. I heard him grunting around 7:00 AM, and it was too dark to see. I could hear sticks breaking below me. I bleated back, but he didn't respond. He grunted again at about 7:20, and chased a doe by me. I bleated with my voice to get them to stop, and then liberated his heart from his aorta. He went about 60 yards and piled up.

Steve

Son of a %&^@# ... it's not bad enough you Keystoners have half the deer in the country ... now you have to come & take ours too?

Oh, but I don't want you to think I don't wish you the best.
......... Son of a %&^@#
[:D][:D][:D]

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:31 am

Awsome buck Steve!
As I recall, that shotgun does have quite a bite!
I would ask you how much eye relief you have, but I think your eye answers that question.
T/C makes a hawken hunter recoil proof scope that has about 4" of eye relief, and can handle magnum shotgun loads.

Mike

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:57 am

It's a Leupold 1½ - 4 x 20, and their website says the eye relief is 4.3". It's the NWTF version with a circle around the intersection of the crosshairs. The website also says this:
The eyebox is generous and extremely forgiving at all magnification settings, for fast target acquisition.

I think that means you get a full field of view anywhere in a long eyebox. Apparently my tendency is to lean into it, coming to the short end of the eyebox. I wouldn't make a very good boxer.

Maybe I can PhotoShoppe that out.

Steve

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:19 pm

Ok. Sorry. I shoulda figured you would've covered those bases since your shotgun is also used for turkeys as well.

Mike

Next

Return to New York