Is the rut finally on?

heightman

Is the rut finally on?

Postby heightman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:35 am

I went out with my bow for a couple of hours this morning. I believe I saw what could well be the start of the rut. I saw a small buck about 65-70 yards out walking at a good pace with it's nose to the ground. He was surely a man on a mission has the rut finally kicked in? Also had a Fisher walk within 25ft of me was cool to see.

woodsalta

RE: Is the rut finally on?

Postby woodsalta » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi there - If you read my last post the other thread in the Mass forum you already know what I saw on Thursday. I also have heard and seen things that make me believe that the rut is going on. I have a guy who works for me tell me that he is seeing all kinds of sign - scrapes, rubs, chasing, etc. in the woods. I had a huge buck that walked by at 200 yards. I thought that it was a horse at first till I get the binocs up for a better look. He was without a question on a mission, nose down and not caring about the grunt call I was blowing. There is a high doe population in the area Im hunting and the bucks don't really care about grunt calls too much there. I think the ruts on and the magic should happen soon!

Good luck, and keep us informed!
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:22 am

Well, I just got in from hunting with my 8 year old daughter and we didn't see anything in the stand. We practicaly hunt in someones back yard with houses all around us, car doors slamming, dogs barking, people walking all over the place you name it we're dealing with it. When my little girl started getting restless "we" decided to call it a morning and head home (she was hungry and wanted McDonald's) as we were driving out I spotted a good sized 8 pointer locked onto a doe in this other persons back yard! It was 15 feet off a road and between two houses. We didn't see the doe at first because she was laying down in some tall grass 25 feet off the road. I wish I had my camera with me but a couple of months ago my truck was broken into and it was stolen. This wasn't the same buck from my prior posting as this one had very thin antlers and smaller body mass. But all the same, I'm going back out this afternoon as I know that he's in the area. I'll keep you all informed of what happens!!

Good luck to all on our last day of archery season!!

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:19 pm

ON THIS DATE NOTHING HAPPENED!!! DARN IT!!!

Return to Massachusetts