Deer Camp

ranwin33

Deer Camp

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:26 am

Attaching a photo of our deer camp.  It's an old pole barn we've been adding to over the last five years.  When we got there it was in very poor shape - the farmer had been using it as a cattle shelter.  Both ends were gone, no doors, both ends had openings to a loft that no longer existed.  But poles seemed to be in pretty good shape so we decided what the heck, lets fix it up.
[ul][*]First year we put a floor in about half of it and covered about half the building with hardiboard siding.  Used some polystyrene insulation for walls and a tarp for a ceiling.  Thought we were in great shape until it got cold.  Propane heaters couldn't keep the place warm. 
[*]Second year we added gravel to the other half for equipement storage, and added a ceiling over half the floor space.  Finished putting hardiboard over the remainder of the building. A little warmer, but still not great.  Painted it red.  Added a door large enough to get ATV's through on the front side. Also brought in a wood burning stove.
[*]Third year we added interior walls, exterior windows, finished the ceiling and insulated it. Added gravel to outside area to create "patio".  Reframed the door for better clearance of ATVs and new mower. 
[*]Year four we added a real door on the inside and put a 65 gallon water tank in the loft for a gravity feed water system when it's not freezing.  Also added an in door toilet run off the gravity feed system plus put down some gravel for a driveway.  Also added outside upper level deck. 
[*]Year five hooked up electricity to a breaker box so no more running extension cords.  More gravel for driveway and expanded patio area.  Another coat of paint and a new tin roof to eliminate leaks.[/ul]It's not perfect but it's a labor of love.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Goose

RE: Deer Camp

Postby Goose » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:03 pm

Thats a nice deer stand you got off the front! LOL
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Nice!

I just dumped a load of lumber on my place and had the Amish build mine. They put up my little one room hunting shack, insulation, windows and metal roof for $750. I pick up groceries for them when I come down and they do favors for me. They installed a steel door, and my wood burner for free.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:47 am

Your fortunate to find some people you can trust.  We keep talking about building a nicer place, but that will probably wait until I retire in 12 years or so. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:50 am

We do see a lot of deer from that deck.  Haven't ever shot anything from it though.  Works out well for practice with our bows.  We set targets at 20, 30, and 40 yards.  About like shooting from a treestand.  We also sight in our rifles from it, there's a large haybale about 150 yards east of it that we put a target on top of.  Works out pretty well.
Aldo Leopold

Return to Missouri