Predators

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
HiddenHornsRanch

Predators

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:19 pm

I went hunting today, and havent been able to take a deer yet either bow season or now during rifle season, but tonight I took a nice female bobcat...have any of yall taken any predators this season?
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

DeerCamp

RE: Predators

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:56 pm

I had a Coyote come in.. I drew back and my rage opend up.. With that said no yote' for me. Thats sweet that you got a Bobcat.. Im going to the UP on tuesday and I will be setting some traps. I wanted to get a full body Coyote and am hoping for a full body Bobcat.. I guess Ill just have to wait and see... Maybe I can still get both.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:11 am

Nope, we pretty much let ours be - the locals seem to hunt them pretty hard though.  I like to listen to the coyotes at night, and the wife would shoot me if I shot one of the bobcats we've got running our property.  Racoons though, now that's another story.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:36 pm

The bobcats are around, this is the first time I seen one in the daylight in a while...and I understand about the racoons, theyre are about the biggest nuisance there is when it comes to hunting, great target practice though, we usually coon hunt with dogs though prior to the season to kind of thin them out and so far it has worked.
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:47 am

We're trying to establish some quail habitat so the coon population needs to decline.  We've got a bunch, but they make themselves pretty scarce other than at night. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:24 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

I had a Coyote come in.. I drew back and my rage opend up.. With that said no yote' for me. Thats sweet that you got a Bobcat.. Im going to the UP on tuesday and I will be setting some traps. I wanted to get a full body Coyote and am hoping for a full body Bobcat.. I guess Ill just have to wait and see... Maybe I can still get both.

Deercamp,

My buddy had a doe come in, drew back, his rage was opened already, fired off the shot anyway, and hit his mark still at 25 yards out, with pass through and a huge hole.  Don't let the opened up rage prevent you from releasing that arrow anymore, especially if its a dandy rack.  Just some advice from his experience, I'm not telling you that you were wrong or anything.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Return to General Discussions