So you loaded your gun, but didn't shoot anything. Storage?

TFin04

So you loaded your gun, but didn't shoot anything. Storage?

Postby TFin04 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:02 am

I know there are a lot of different opinions here, just wondering what you guys do.

Leave it loaded or unload (either by shooting, a bullet puller, or one of those fancy co2 deals)

If you unload, is your bullet still usable? I don't shoot nearly as many times as I go out, that could be expensive to toss good bullets.

Ifishandhunt

RE: So you loaded your gun, but didn't shoot anything. Storage?

Postby Ifishandhunt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:40 am

I shoot an in-line CVA. I have to uncrew the breach plug and push out the bullet. Yes it is still good to use next time though. The plastic sleeve around the bullet may need to replaced if it is in bad shape from being shoved into the barrel and then back out.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:51 am

During the season?

I simply remove the primer and place the rifle in a hard case with the bullet and charge in the chamber. I also try to avoid taking the rifle in and out of the cold in order prevent condensation. Once it is loaded, I try to store it in the garage or locked in my pickup. This does require a vigilant approach to the safe handling and security of the gun, but that should not really change if it is loaded or not.

After the season?

I remove the breach plug remove the powder and bullet and clean/dry everything.

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:57 am

Yes during the season. JPH I've been doing the same thing at the recommendation of huting friends who have done it for years. I'm still concerned about a misfire when the big guy comes strolling through. :)

It's been taken from the field inside the house, and will leave the house to go back in the field this weekend. Hopefully condensation won't mess me up.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:53 am

During season, if I encounter any moisture, I will break my gun down and clean it. I have had misfires in the past and they will turn your stomach. If you think for a momnet that you might have moisture in the breech, you should start with a fresh load.

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:12 am

Hmmm.....wonder how well it would work if I just pull the breech plug (it's a break action inline), dump the powder, clean and dry the threads, pour fresh powder back in the breech and reinstall the plug? Maybe run the rod again to make sure the bullet is seated firmly.

Thoughts?

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:26 am

I don't know, but if you've come that far, why not just push the bullet out and re-load?

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:54 am

Good point I just didn't want to have to use a new plastic sabot, I only have enough for each bullet I have. :)

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:24 am

I didn't want to risk a misfire so I unloaded it from the breach, pushed the sabot out, cleaned and reloaded. Powder came out kind of clumpy, not sure if its just from being compressed or if it was wet. Either way, now I can use fresh.

The sabot was in good shape, my CVA rifling isn't very high. I was able to reuse it and it loaded just as smoothly as a new one. I think it will shoot fine.

Thanks guys.

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:06 am

The twice-loaded bullet shot great. I shot a doe at 58 paced yards and put it right on the button.

Thanks for the help guys.

Next

Return to Muzzleloaders