Herd management

TFin04

RE: Herd management

Postby TFin04 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:46 am

I'd support a 1 buck per year rule, and going to just antler and antlerless licenses across the seasons.

Deersavvy

Postby Deersavvy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:11 pm

I love the idea of the one buck rule and so do all of my hunting partners. I also like the idea of gun season being later in the year and also shorter. Many other states sorrounding us have much shorter gun seasons and a one buck rule. It's hard to look at the quality of deer in those states and not want to see that kind of improvement here in our state. It can be done but not without drastic change.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:37 pm

I would hate to see gun season start on a date other than Nov 15th! Its been that day for years! I wouldnt mind seeing everyone only take one buck a year also. I like what they are doing in the UP, as it has to have 3 or more on one side..However I have noticed a lot of people found a way around that. If you buy just the single tag, or a single tag and a doe tag you can still shoot any size deer. So it kind of screwed the DNR out of money there, and their whole idea. Our gun camp is 17 guys, 5 of them bought just single tags. All older men.. I now have talked to a lot of the guys and 14 of them where going to buy a single tag, just so they could shoot anything! I hate to see it like that. I wish they would say it has to be a 6pt or bigger no matter what tag you have. And down below here with the no baiting, you could expect to see a lot bigger deer!

However from what I have read in the paper, the dnr wants to have gun season date changed and also make it 3 weeks instead of two... They just dont have a clue what they really are doing. Big joke if ya ask me.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:43 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: smitty

Another reason the dnr will never go for it is the public out cry would be to much. 

I think there just going to have to deal with it if they cant say you cant shoot smaller bucks.. Look what they did with the no baiting. about a month from season and we lost how much money because of that? I dont think anyone is going to complain anymore than they did over that.. Just something I hope they do make is a 6pt or bigger rule and one buck tag..We'd all just have to get use to it. In over time, I think people will realize that it was for the right reasons.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

LIVE2HUNT6969

Postby LIVE2HUNT6969 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:50 am

The cost of doe tags in the U.P for a non resident went from 100 to 138 same as a non resident buck. Now in my eyes thats going to descrease the number of non res who are going to buy doe tags. Which is oposite of what should be done to have people take does out of the herd where needed.
I see the purpose of the combo tag in which the bucks harvested must be one 3 on a side, and one 4 on a side to help smaller bucks live another year, but do not understand why you can only use the restricted tag for a doe in archery only. Say you score a buck with 3 on each side opening day and have 2 days to hunt, why not allow the tag that will likely go un filled be used on a doe. Food for thought

Previous

Return to Michigan