2009 Hunting Report

bobow

RE: 2009 Hunting Report

Postby bobow » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:34 am

I was out all day Friday and Saturday and it was terrible slow.  I saw one doe at the end of the day Friday and that was @ 125 yards out and then she just disappeared.

I didn't hear the usual barrage of fire like other years.  Normally it sounds like WWIII on opening morning.  I didn't hear that much shooting and what I did hear was mostly early AM and last light.

Lots of corn still out, warm temps and I have to wonder if the rut happened at night due to the warm temps.

I hope to get out bow hunting on Turkey day.  It sounds like colder weather with a chance of rain and/or snow.  Maybe the daylight activity will increase.

I hope everybody else has better fortunes.  Let us know how it went.  Good luck to all.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:41 am

Was out Friday AM and PM heard only a handfull of shots the entire day or weekend for that matter, not at all like past years, however there is still alot of corn out there. Had a real nice doe 80 yards with a good clean shot in the morning but it just was not her time.

Saturday me and my 13 year old son sat out for the first time together in our double vision tree stand had four deer come in around 7:30 am but it was to foggy to verify I had a clean shot. That evening we had alot of activity and finaly got a very large doe harvested about five min. before shooting time ended. Man did he get excited. He needs to learn to sit still and pay attention to his hand movement, but all and all he did fairly well.

But the biggest thrill of the entire weekend was sharing some quality stand time with my son and seeing the smile on his face when we shared sucess, that was priceless.

Sunday was dead and did not see a thing.

Good luck to all, would like to hear your stories.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:19 am

congrats on a great time with your son, deer is a bonus. I don't know why I gun hunt, same thing every year, I see ton of deer bow hunting and rarely see anything gun hunting, don't get me wrong, I eventually fill the tags but just not as excited as when I bow hunt. I have heard ton of people say same thing, dead weekend. I could not hunt Friday but got to go out Sat. I took a good friend for his 1st time hunting this year. We hunted the farm I normally hunt most of the day and did not see a single deer. I took him to another spot that is good for a doe. He missed at 80yds, he was shooting off his knee. So I put him pretty much inside a bush that he could use a limb for rest on Sunday. Around 4pm he hit a doe at 90yds. shooting muzzle loader. He hit her perfect. The deer jumped up in the air, then went back to grazing and then fell over 10 feet from where it was shot, it was crazy. 2 other does in the field and none of them ran when he shot, I had one needed to take a few more steps but they all went over the the doe that fell over and then started freaking out. I will have to get a little more serious next season.  You mentioned your son needs to settle down a little, my friend is 42 and he was moving around, breaking limbs, I had to laugh. 

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:36 am

I was out this morning (Turkey Day) and saw quite a bit of action.  About 7:50 a young buck was chasing a doe at high speed for maybe 5 minutes.  After that he just stayed behind her maybe 40 yards while she stopped and walked a little.

About 8:30 a nice 8 pt came thru at a quick pace zig-zagging back & forth with his nose to the ground.  About 15 minutes later a nice 12 pt came oh so close to where I drew back and waited for a couple more steps but he turned around and went the other way after stopping with a questionable shot.  He was checking the ground and the air for scent.

So my question: is this a "delayed" rut after the warm weather last week or maybe a secondary rut?  What do you experts say?

I hope to get out Friday, Saturday & Sunday if possible.

I hope everyone has a Merry Thanksgiving, Ho, Ho, Ho...
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:51 am

I am certainly not the expert but I have been waiting for someone to say something about chase being back on, time wise this should be about right for does that didn't get bred to go back in. Sounds like you had a good morning, hope the rest of your T-day went well also. 

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:36 am

I am no expert either, As much as I would like to say it is a delayed rut, I think it is actualy the second rut. Based on everyone I have talked to that hunts in the area the rut did happen, but it happened at night and in the corn.

Now that a little bit more corn is out Iam hoping to see a little more activity in the woods. Also it might be a pretty exciting second gun season!

Good to hear your seeing some activity bobow, and good luck. I will be out in the woods this weekend for sure. I would have been out today but that nasty four letter word called work got in the way. (I am however, thankful I still have a job though).

Good luck all.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:13 am

are you guys still seeing chasing?  I am not seeing much of anything. Last time I went out was Sun afternoon, had a doe with yearling and then I think 2 other does around dusk at 100yds or so. Nothing was being pushed. 

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:30 am

Well, unfortunatley Saturday I did not like the south wind so I went bird hunting.

Sunday, I woke up and did not like the rain. So needless to say I did not get out.

See what tommorow brings with second season gun.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:24 am

little windy today also, see how this cold front treats us. I just want some meat hanging in the garage at this point. Have fun.

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:26 am

I did not see any post or late rutting going on in my area, in fact I never seen a buck the entire second season. several does but very few and far between.

I do not know about you guys but it was darn cold Friday morning, I could hardly sit still.

If you had your choice where do you hunt during second season after all the pressure? middle of the woods? edge of picked fields??

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois