Georgia hunters time to check in

eagle eye

Georgia hunters time to check in

Postby eagle eye » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:26 am

Deer season has been opened for nearly two months, we have progressed through the late summer archery season a week of black powder and now we are in the firearms season. From what I have seen in the woods the weather may be just starting to cooperate with us for a productive rut this year. I have seen a lot of pre rut activities at times including active scrapes, chasing and tickling of the horns. At other times the bucks seem to be not interested at all. From what was observed last weekend, the moon phase and the gradual drop in temperatures in the mornings, I am hopeful that the next two weeks will be productive for us all.

I would like to hear what you are seeing out there and hear your success stories as well as your hunting experiences. I think it would be helpful to the rest of the hunters that reside in Georgia as well as the hunters that travel to Georgia to be able to use this as a great informational resource.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing from you
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

Gdawg1958

RE: Georgia hunters time to check in

Postby Gdawg1958 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:35 am

Im hunting in Cherokee county on some private land (80 acres) and its full of deer activity. in the last week there have been a bunch of new scrape sites in what seems to be a broader area? does this mean that the rut is starting? I have not seen any mature deer as of yet, been in the stand in early morning and late evening. I think the deer in this area are completely nocturnal right now. do you guys see the rut beginning?

eagle eye

Postby eagle eye » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:11 pm

First of all welcome to Deer and Deer Hunter.com
This is a great resource for all of your questions as well as place to share your stories and expand your knowledge.

I have started to see a lot of activity in the last week in some areas and have been with people on the same property that have not seen any chasing at all. First of all you mentioned scrapes on border area. That is one of the first signs that the scent checking has started. Buck will typically create a scrape line and many buck will check the scrapes either by physically checking them and reactivating them and some will just bed downwind of the scrapes and be able to tell when does start to visit them. These sites can be active for a few days to weeks and then abandoned.  On one property that I hunt there was an active scare line on one stand for opening of gun season and it was abandoned until this Saturday morning when a buck came in and reactivated all of the scrapes. So they are worth watching. I saw bucks chasing during opening weekend and since then I have seen very little activity. On another farm I hunted on Saturday I saw 5 different bucks chasing and one breeding. The other 4 people hunting the same 1500 acre tract saw bucks but no chasing at all. So it really depends on the does. I always believe that once you get to November and the bachelor groups have broken up you need to concentrate on scrape lines and food sources that the does frequent. The bucks will find the does that are going into season. Once a doe goes into season the buck will run her until she is ready to breed throughout the day. Stay vigilant and be very conscious of scent control and how you enter and leave the stand to not spook game. If there are scrapes the bucks are not far away, and trust me Cherokee County has some large bucks that will enter the game when a doe is ready.
John Wojtas

logawhit01

Postby logawhit01 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:32 am

Here is my November 19, 2009 buck from Jasper County the Deer Capital of GA

Enjoy your hunting, Love God and then your family

eagle eye

Postby eagle eye » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:41 am

That is a great buck but first and foremost i am glad to see that you are sharing with your family
I know the feeling well

John Wojtas

logawhit01

Postby logawhit01 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:52 am

Eagle Eye and All,

I believe that if we don't spend time taking our sons and daughters hunting we will loose our opportunity to other things (school, sports, TV, you name it)

At that point we will loose the window of opportunity in the future hunters and then we will begin to loose our rights as we die off and can't manage the deer population.

Keep it up!
Logan

logawhit01

Postby logawhit01 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:53 am

Going to the woods now.

Hope the deer are moving again!

t_bilt

Postby t_bilt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Rut seemed a little spread out this year. I hunt in Brooks County (South GA around Quitman). I took this bruiser coming into some estrus wafer scents during the evening hunt on 11/29/10.

I took a hot doe out from under a nice 9 point that needed more growing on the same day during the morning hunt. I was blessed for not taking that 9 pointer with this 8 point. Most folks would have taken the 9 and been happy. The 8 has a 21-1/2" inside and 24" outside spread. We have rules to only take one shooter buck a year and I focus mainly on does.

Stayed down for one week and managed to fill the freezer and keep the manager happy with one buck four does and five hogs...3 boars and 2 sows. Of course the manager would have rather I taken 10 does but like I said it was a strange rut this year. I laft on December 5th and the cold snap was working miracles. I wish we had planned our trip one week later. I have a feeling that it would have been wide open! But hey, I may not have seen the big 8 point... I just happy to get some time to spend with good hunting buddies and occasionally being blessed to have a wall hanger drop in to see me [;)]

Ho Hum just another sh!tty day in paradise. Cumberland County, TN

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:46 am

great deer everyone. i would love to bow hunt in georgia one day.tn is boring this year.

BROWNING7WSM

Postby BROWNING7WSM » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:57 pm

Been hunting Talbot county all season. Seen a number of deer just not a shooter buck yet. Heading down again in a few weeks to hunt the last week of the season.

Next

Return to Georgia