How's your rut activity?

WayneL

How's your rut activity?

Postby WayneL » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:02 am

Since the gun opener I have seen a lot of tending. Every doe group had a buck in tow. I assumed that was the end of the chasing but sure enough I hunted a new property this weekend in Westchester County (Yorktown) and had 2 doe still getting chased. I assume they are the last 2 doe in estrous. They were young - 1 1/2 years old. Young bucks were chasing them. I haven't seen a mature buck in a few weeks. How is the action in your area? Are you seeing any mature deer? Are you seeing ANY deer?
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Legacy

RE: How's your rut activity?

Postby Legacy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:02 am

For the most part its over... There may be a doe here and there in heat but the majority have been bred. The deer around me are really starting to return to prerut activities.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:09 am

Non existant...the big boy everyone was after I kicked up while feeding the chicks and checking property...not hunting....I saw he looked wounded and pushed him down the hill...Bang!...he's done...and was wounded with GG setting in...in same conversation I found out that 4 of the small bucks I passed on during bow were shot....at least 4 buck have been wounded and not recovered save the one neighbor found...a week after a guy called to track it...not a single doe since the one I took opening day but one buck I would have shot had he stuck around another 15 mins. so it would have been legal [&o]...hope he's stuck around our property...or he'll be shot as well I'm sure....any ways 11 fawn 3 days ago...that's just within a mile radius...

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:11 am

I shot an 8-point that was harassing a doe on opening day, but since then I haven't seen any rutting activity in New York or in Pennsylvania.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

catphish66

Postby catphish66 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 am

I'm hunting in Otsego County, Town of Decatur and the bucks I'm seeing now are by themselves.  Haven't seen one in a few days though.  The does are all in hiding but I expect them to get back on pattern after this week.

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:28 pm

That's about what I see also. Doe are starting to go back to thier regular routine. Bucks are back to being hard to find! I've seen a lot of rut activity this year - maybe the most I have seen in my short hunting career (5 years). It's been a good year for me.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

Return to New York