fields and bedding areas

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
ohiohunter

fields and bedding areas

Postby ohiohunter » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:18 am

i have a 2 acre part of my land that is full of tall grass that the deer are using just as a gathering area.  It is starting to become full of honeysuckle bushes at a very fast rate.  I am wondering if i should let them all grow up and have a small bedding area for the deer to lay around in, or should i cut them all down and leave the field as tall grass, or should i just make it into a food plot??  Any ideas or suggestions are greatly welcome.

69Viking

RE: fields and bedding areas

Postby 69Viking » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:19 am

From what I know deer love honeysuckle so you might want to leave it as is.  This will create a combination bedding and feeding area that should attract more deer to your property.  I'm no expert yet and still learning but that is what I'd try and do.  If it doesn't work out you can always change it into something else in a couple years.  Hopefully you'll get some other input too, good luck! 

Smoothbore

Postby Smoothbore » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:48 am

It really depends.... how much land do you have? and when can I come and hunt it? JK[:D] On a serious note it really does depend on how much land you have.. are there other bedding areas so on and so on.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:16 pm

As Viking said the deer do love honeysuckle and allot of people plant it. If you don't need that piece for anything I would leave it as is. If you don't have any feed in the area but already have some different bedding Id make it into a food plot.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:19 pm

If you really want to enhance that land...

Go break off a couple branches off of pine trees.  Let the end that doesn't have the needles soak in water.  Once roots start to grow up, plant them in a pot.  Around 20 should do the trick.  Next year plant those pine trees in the honeysuckle (trim an area around it though, to ensure the pine trees grow.)  Added cover of the pine trees will make your small acre or two a gold mine for bedded deer, at least until the pine trees are 15 years old or so.  The land I hunt, has 40+ acres of pines and honeysuckle.  It is the "Off limits area" at least until Muzzleloader season.  I saw some dandies in there, and I know forsure they use it prior to that.  As I posted a picture of a good buck headed in to it at night to look for a call girl.

Edit:  The pine trees also might attract a few Turkey's for you as well.

ohiohunter

Postby ohiohunter » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:31 pm

wow that is a great idea...there is a bean field across the road from the land and a corn field on the other side of the woods. I plan on letting it grow up and leave about half an acre to make into a food plot or something like that. Thanks so far...more ideas will be greatly welcomed.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:09 pm

You don't need any more ideas.  I'd let you come to the property I hunt, and "observe"  you'd be surprised at the amount of deer, as well as the turkey activity.  It's amazing.  The pine trees now are about 7 years old.  The first 3-4 years the deer weren't there, that I observed.  However, since, I kicked at least a couple 130's - 150's out of there late last season.  It's a serious deer magnet.  If it doesn't work, JPH will pay you back for your time spent. 

Edit:  If you have that type of food on sides of your property, the best thing IMHO is to make your land "bedding material" and set up stands between the food sources and that. 

hansonca

Postby hansonca » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:40 am

From what I know about honeysuckle they grow thick and rapidly. So I would have to say you should leave mostly has is but you should "weed it out" each year. Doing this will allow you to move trough and see through is while hunting. I sometimes hunt a friends land and there is alot of honeysuckle. When driving the land you almost have to crawl on your hands and knees but the deer hide in there once the shooting starts. Good Luck To All This Season!!!

ohiohunter

Postby ohiohunter » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:59 am

Alright Gafrage im sold on your idea and ill start on it after I fill my tags.  When should I start putting the branches in water though..should i wait till spring? And I plan to create 2 food plots that touch this honeysuckle patch.  both will be 1/2 to 1/4 an acre in size...any ideas on what those should be??  annuals or things such as clover? Thanks so far.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:56 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Seems you have deer using the area now, why do something that might change that.

I'd leave things as they are and see what happens as the honeysuckle grows in.  Sometimes I think we try to do too much when the best course may be to allow nature to do it's thing.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements