Seminar and photo thread?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
MikeinMO

Seminar and photo thread?

Postby MikeinMO » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:25 am

I'd like to see those of you who take lots of pictures post some good ones of button bucks, and also chime into a discussion of all the ways to ID them by behavior etc. Teaching young hunters, (and even some experienced ones) to positively ID button bucks, especially at longer ranges during rifle seasons, can be a real challenge. Having picture examples that feature as many distinguishing characteristics as possible might be very educational.

Thoughts?

ranwin33

RE: Seminar and photo thread?

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:33 am

Pictures are at home, but here are some characteristics.
[ol][*]The nubs on a button buck often are visible with careful examination, especially through binoculars.
[*]A button buck's head is flat on top between the ears, while a doe's head is more rounded.
[*]Button bucks are more likely to be by themselves than other antlerless deer.
[*]If more than one fawn is present in a group, the larger of the fawns is likely to be a button buck.
[*]Button bucks are often the first to enter a field or feeding area.
[*]Button bucks tend to have a "blockier" body type than does or doe fawns.[/ol]

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

swamp ghost

RE: Seminar and photo thread?

Postby swamp ghost » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:02 am

I keep it pretty simple. Don't shoot a single "doe" 99% of the time it's a button buck. I wait until there are a group of 3 or more "doe's" and shoot the biggest one.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management