How windy is too windy to hunt???

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
FFKEVIN

How windy is too windy to hunt???

Postby FFKEVIN » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:55 pm

[font=tahoma]OK, I finally got some time off and was set to go hunt the next couple of days.  When I pulled up the forecast for Monday and Tuesday it said said there would be 18 - 21 mph winds for both days.[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]I really want to go out and hunt, but am I wasting my time?  Do the deer move when it so windy?[/font]
[font=tahoma][/font] 
[font=tahoma]Should I even go out or should I just work on the honey-do list and get stuff done around the house???[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

Goose

RE: How windy is too windy to hunt???

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Ive read that when its over 15 mph it will effect deer movement. But you ain't gonna get anything if your not in the woods. I can remember last year we had 30 mph winds on nov 5th here in WI and I decided not to hunt but I drove around in the truck with the video camera and saw 2 HUGE bucks both in fields with does. Sure made me wish I wouldve sat.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

SDArcher

Postby SDArcher » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Last year during the third week of October is was 80 degrees out and the wind was blowing at least 25mph.  I wasn't even going to hunt but I decided to go sit a ground blind.  I was sitting there thinking that I was stupid for even going out when a 150 class buck came over the hill in an alfalfa field.  I got him stopped in my shooting lane at 30 yards drew my bow settled in and watched the arrow take hair right of his back.  I guess he was more like 25 yards.  I felt sick after that miss.  My arrow flew just perfect, unaffected by the wind I just blew the shot.  So I would say go hunting and good luck!!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:33 pm

When the weather get`s bad, do you stop eating or driving to work? Didn`t think so. Same with the deer, they may just take a different route, or travel at a slightly different time.

I killed one of my biggest bodied bucks a couple years ago when the wind was just howling. I arrowed him at the end of legal shooting light, after having watched him for better than 3 hours bedded in a thick swale. The winds were gusting up to 40 miles per hour.

The "secret" is this......hunt when you can. The deer don`t go into retirement because of bad weather., They`re still there, they still have to forage for food, they still have to travel and they still have to live. Just consider how the weather will affect them, and plan accordingly.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:33 pm

I don't know how along you are in the chasing phase over there in Ohio.  I would probably sit if I were you.  I decided not to sit today in WI, and the neighbors saw lots of deer, including 2 bucks that were pushing maturity if not.  Like stated above, you aren't going to shoot one on your couch.  If the bucks are already pushing does around by you, I don't think it matters how windy it is.  Just my opinion.  GL

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:56 pm

I have killed several big bucks on windy days. My best ever was taken on a day with gusts over 25 mph.

I hunted this evening in a sustained wind of 40 mph with gusts beyond that! I passed on a mature doe.

My theory is as follows. When the wind is moderate (gusting of 15-30 mph) it will often die around sunset. That (IMO) can be one of the best times to be on stand. When winds are sustained at high speeds (30 mph or more) they often refuse to lay down, even at sunset. I tend to think that the deer just accept the wind and move almost as normal.

High wind can make it hard to hunt from a tree and can reduce your range, but I tend to like it.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:11 pm

Heck here in SD your lucky to have a day of 20mph or less. Today it was sustained at 45 with gusts to 60. I wasnt in my tree stand but i was chasing the wiley old pheasants.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:33 pm

I stillhunt on the ground. Today we had sustained 25 to 30 MPH winds, with gusts up to 45. I headed for the protected cover where I hunt, and was IMMEDIATELY into deer.

In fact the problem was that I had TOO MANY deer in the area I was hunting, and it made it darn near impossible to hunt.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:33 pm

This is a great subject area I think because I believe a lot of people have varying opinions on the matter.  Maybe we can get Dan to chime in to see what he thinks?

Anyways, I have always believed that with high winds that deer do not move very much.  Last night in west-central WI, we had winds 20-30...I was debating on whether to go out or not but decided to sit in a low point on a picked bean/Biologic Maximum field.  The wind died down about 6, and I ended up seeing 6 does.  Today I debated back and forth on whether to go out or not...There was snow coming down and it was coming down parallel to the ground!!!! I decided on not going out and instead went and checked a few stands, and noticed that all my stands on the eastern part of my properties had little to no wind (obviously with the wind break from it coming from the northwest), AND on top of that I found a few more scrapes that weren't there yesterday.  Should have been out...Live and learn I guess! [:(]

scentblocker

Postby scentblocker » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:39 pm

I hunted in early October and the winds were 25 to 35 every day I did not see allot of deer.  I think it has allot to due with the time of year, in early October the deer in my area are primarly filling there bellies.  With all the acorns this year the deer are in the oaks.  During the rut and pre rut I think a buck will move no matter what the wind is doing.  I have never let the weather stand in my way of hunting unless it is unsafe.  The more time you spend in the woods the better chance you have of seeing a mature buck.

Good luck this season,
Scentblocker

Next

Return to General Discussions