When they're way out there

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
OHhunter

When they're way out there

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:07 am

Just read the "when they're way out there" article in the archery section of this month's issue of D&DH. Wasn't a bad article until I realized who had written it.  Correct me if I'm wrong, Isn't Dr. Todd Kuhn the same person who last season claimed to put the "perfect neck shot" on a bedded deer at [size=4]88yds.[/size]

First is there such a thing as a "perfect neck shot" and second what kinda hunter takes a 88yd shot on a deer, bedded or not. 

Dr. Kuhn was the bowhunting editor for another hunting magazine last season.  I'm guessing they let him go after the story was posted on one of their blogs.  They pulled the story off the blog after day or two, it didn't go over well with some of their loyal readers and ethical bowhunters.

I'm very disappointed in D&DH publishing anything written by this guy let alone an article on knowing your limits.

Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Goose

RE: When they're way out there

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:19 am

Dont know if its the same guy or same guy that took that shot but I do agree that that is not the most ethical shot.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:27 am

I remember the 88 yd. shot talk from last year, but I didn't make the connection with this articel. Good catch OHhunter.

As far as the issue of "long shots" goes, I get a little nervous. I am not certain that we need any more of a push to take further shots. Between TV shows and advertizing, I think we have enough pressure to "reach out there".

I have no issue with authors working to make us better archers (and that will naturally lead to increased range), but I worry about the wording.

I remember an old neighbor, who was in his second year of archery, who was showing off his top end bow. He told me that he spent the extra cash b/c he felt like he was owed the chance at a 50 yd. shot. We didn't tlak hunting much after that.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:54 am

I know a guy like that, spends thousands every year buying the latest and greatest bows, sights, arrows.  He's always telling me how much faster his new setup is and everything he adds to his bow to get more FPS, so he can shoot longer distances.  Funny thing is he never talks much about practicing, guess he thinks because it's the best it makes up for his lack of practice and abilities.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:30 am

If they'er way out there I'd rather get out my grunt tube or doe bleat and practice HUNTING ...trying to get them in for a better shot...other wise I can say..... stay way out there and I'll try a differant HUNTING tactic to get another chance at another time

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:31 pm

88 yards is a rifle shot, not a bow shot.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:24 am

I don't give a hoot in hell what kind of bow you have, how many 3-D trophy's you've won, or anything else.  Fact is, a BOW AND ARROW is a SHORT RANGE weapon.......PERIOD!

Any archer who claims to be a bowhunter, even if they can put 6 arrows in a 4" circle at that range everytime, that would attempt a shot like that on a LIVE target, is just plain irresponsible.

All that deer would have to do is TURN it's head for a brief moment, and the "bragging rights" shot you are trying to make will be a deer with an arrow in it's face, or eye, or a non-vital neck hit that the deer will carry around for days, or even weeks before it dies.

The true mark of ANY ethical hunter is to take ONLY high percentage shots that are well within your personally most effective HUNTING range. This fails that test on several levels.

If you want to make extreme range shots with your bow and have everyone "Ooooo...and ahhhh....." your superior archery skills, then stay at the 3-D shoots.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:32 pm

I saw some video on a hunting show, of a guy shooting some ballons on a hay bale with a compound bow. They said it was a 188 yard shot, and he made the shot twice in a row. If it was a deer it could have moved out of the way before the arrow reached the target. I agree shooting deer needs to be done close with 25-35 yard shot ranges, but even a 45 yard shot can be performed if you practice.  Not a shot I would take, but I've seen it done on hunting shows a few times.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:53 pm

well i have my bow sighted in at 20, 30 , and 40 yds granted those are in door range shots. Yes indoor shots. Thats very different then doing it outside I would never try a 40 yard shot on a live animal I owe to that animal to kill it quickly the last thing I want is to lay in bed worrying about a deer that I shot and never recovered laying out there suffering because of a bad shot. But thats me and thats my 2 cents worth

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:39 am

Yeah that is ridiculous, an 88 yd shot on a living animal is just not acceptable, or ethical at all. I don't care how long you have been shooting and how good you are, 99-100 times that shot is not going to end up the way your stubborn pride thinks it will. I have trouble taking a shot over 25 yards with my bow. Yeah thats cool you can be dead on at 88 yards, i would love to be able to do that, hopefully one day i will be ablwe to, but even if i could i would NEVER EVER try that shot on a living animal! Esp a neck shot at that! I was not too pleased when i read that article either, pure stupidity to do that.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features