Apple-scented shampoo?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Everyday Hunter

Apple-scented shampoo?

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:38 am

The thread on mouth breathing versus nose breathing got me to wondering. When showering before hunting (especially if hunting around apples), why not use apple-scented shampoo? Has anyone done any tests with various shampoo scents?

Steve

reeper0697

RE: Apple-scented shampoo?

Postby reeper0697 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:41 am

When we were younger my best friend use to do this all the time. The only thing is, is that even when your hair smells like apples the wind is still picking up the scent of the rest of your body.

I'm not saying it wont ever work, he just never had any luck doing it
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 am

ORIGINAL: reeper0697

When we were younger my best friend use to do this all the time. The only thing is, is that even when your hair smells like apples the wind is still picking up the scent of the rest of your body.

I'm not saying it wont ever work, he just never had any luck doing it.

No. I'm talking about using apple-scented shampoo on your entire body, not just on your hair. (I don't have any hair, anyway.) Use it just like you do liquid shower soap from HS, or any of the other companies. The only thing the apple-scented shampoo doesn't have is an anti-bacterial agent in it. So, after showering, maybe dust yourself with baking soda. And hunt the wind.

Steve

rweyman

Postby rweyman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 am

I don't know if the shampoo has other perfumes in it that the deer would smell or not. I also have wondered about using laundry detergents that say they are perfume and scent free, because they are alot cheaper than buying traditional hunting laundry detergents. But I've always been worried that they would spook deer also. I used to just use baking soda when i washed my clothes before they introduced all these other detergents. Good question on the shampoo, I've wondered but have always been to worried about other scents to try it.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:59 am

I think rweyman hit the nail on the head.  By virtue of my wife being a hairdresser, she often brings home hair care products (shampoos and conditioners) and experiments with other brands to include ones that have natural aromatics (apple, strawberry, cucumber etc).  Regardless of the scent many of them contain perfumes and by products carrying unnatural odors, which we may not be able to detect but I'm quite certain a deer would.  As others have posted before I think the best scent is no scent at all.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:37 am

We're gonna have to write mythbusters
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:41 am

My little girl uses "apple scented" shampoo. It does not smell anything like apples.

Once she accidentialy used my scent-away soap and was mad at me for leaving it out. She was worried that she was going to smeall like a deer. [:D]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:09 pm

The best scent for your body is NO SCENT.

Why would you put a scent ON YOURSELF that will attract the deer's attention TO YOU?

I guess for someone who thinks it's too easy to get a bowshot off undetected, and needs to give the deer "a better chance to see him"?  [:)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

coach

Postby coach » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:45 pm

I agree.....best scent is no scent.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:00 pm

I would say stick with no scent at all, no need to risk bringing anymore attention to ones self.

Next

Return to Best Practices