Anyone else go out in the snow this morning

heightman

Anyone else go out in the snow this morning

Postby heightman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:21 am

Just wondering if anyone else braved this mornings snow. I hit the woods at 6:20 and stayed put until 10. It wasn't real cold and I had the cover of a LARGE pine tree to keep some of the snow off of me. At 1 I decided to take a little walk around to see if I could cut any tracks but none to be found except for a few squirrel track. Guess all the deer had already taken cover or where not moving because off all the snow falling from the tree branches making it look like something else was moving around them. I am using a T/C Omega and seeing as it has been loaded for over a week and taken in and out of the cold with todays wetness I decided to fire it on my way out just to be safe next trip out. Shot just fine a good thing I quess. But then again on the walk back to my parking spot I kept thinking watch this I will jump one now that I have an empty gun just my kind of luck but didn't thank God. Well got to go out and shovel now but will check back in when I am done. Would like to see how everyone's season is going. Be SAFE.

fatbob240

RE: Anyone else go out in the snow this morning

Postby fatbob240 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:46 am

I went out yesterday afternoon, before the "big storm" hit and I didn't see anything at all. I bet that it would have been great during the five hour window today where the winds died down and the snow almost stopped. Too bad that thing called 'work' gets in the way.
Goal: 1 shot= 1 kill

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:59 am

I cleared the heavy wet snow out of the driveway but didn't go hunting . It was extremely windy and they had some power outages west of us . I got my generator out of the shed and took a ride to fill up a couple of gan cans . Also checked the camping lanterns . I have wood available in case we lose power and can heat the house with the wood stove . There have been severe storm warnings southwest of us !
Semper Fi !

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:43 am

Well, I was able to get out of work and sneak out for a short hunt yesterday afternoon during the lull in the storm. I rushed around the house, threw on my snow camo, grabbed my bow and headed out on my ten acres around 4:00....I was back to the house before 4:30 and I never made it to my stand. I stalked within bow range (under 25 yards)of three bedded deer and wound up shooting a spike! That was the first time I've ever stalked within bow range and actually got a shot off, let alone kill a deer. I was pretty pumped. Spike or not, it was a hunt that I'll never forget.[:D]

heightman

Postby heightman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:43 am

Congrat's fatbob. Did you get any pictures? I have not gotten the chance to get back out since the storm. That work thing s***'s. Was going to try and get out this morning but the wind is blowing about 25-35 miles per hour brrrrrrr current wind chill is 8 actual temp is 20 now which is not to bad. I don't know what part of Michigan your in but my children live in and around Port Huron and the seem to always have the same weather as I do here in Ma. Are you tagged out yet or do you still got a chance to get the spikes daddy? I still have the 3 tags I started the season with 1 Doe and 2 Buck tags. Started to build up a collection of unused tags not a good thing. Been several years since I have scored. But still have till Dec 31 to try to fill at least one tag hopefully my luck changes before then. I did have a clean 13 yrd. shot at a doe during archery season but she had her two skippers with her and I just could not bring myself to taken mommy away from them [must be getting soft in my old age] [:(] Stay SAFE

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:53 am

This has been a year of firsts for me from catching a 28'' walleye, a 20" rainbow trout, shooting a record book turkey with my bow (without a ground blind) and now stalking and killing a deer![:)] I did get a couple of pictures but I haven't had the chance to download them yet. Maybe this weekend... I do have two tags left, an antlerless and my restricted tag (4pts. on one side) so I'll be out with the muzzleloader tomorrow and Sunday looking to at least put a little more meat in the freezer.
      I live in the northern part of Michigan around Lewiston and we never really got hit with the storm. We did get about 8 inches total over three days but not the "storm of the century" and there have been a few hours of high winds but again nothing like they were calling for. Now, I drove about 15 miles to the west, over to the Gaylord area last night and there were white-out conditions there while I had blue skies at my house. Lake effect snow does strange things. Well, good luck, try to stay warm and be safe. I'll see if I can get some pics posted soon. 

Return to Massachusetts