Bookend Bucks

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
allthingshunting

Bookend Bucks

Postby allthingshunting » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:55 am

This past Friday i was fortunate enough to get a day off work and go hunting.  It was the second day of Maryland's early muzzleloader season.  In this season, one can kill a buck and 2 does in the region i hunt.

Anyhow, my dad and I decided to hunt a horse farm we have permission to hunt in Baltimore County.  It is a pretty decent area, but this year has no crops because the deer did so much damage last year, the farmer didn't feel it was worth putting a crop in the ground this year.

It was a great morning.  Was the first truly cooler morning we have had this year.  I believe it was 51 degrees (still not optimal, but like i said, this was the first shift away from 65+ in a long while).  Anyhow, jumped a ton of deer walking into my stand which was encouraging / discouraging at the same time.  Got set-up in my trustly lone wolf climber and settled in the morning hunt.  NO activity until about 7:30.  In fact, i had just checked my watch for the first time that morning, 7:34 and i hear a shot on the ridge my dad was hunting.  thought about calling him on the cell to see how he made out, but started having movement of my own.  Mom and little one came in from the front, at the same time (always happens) they had me pinned down from 10 yards i can see another big deer moving through the woods to my right.  Never got to identify this one.  Then had 2 more does come in from the front.  After they finally cleared out and was just about to call dad again when i caught movement to my left.  At about 60 yards a deer stepped out from under the dense vines to reveal a really nice rack (i already had my scope on him when his head cleared).  At that same time, he locked on me.  Was upwind so he didn't smell me.  Not even convinced he definately saw me, but i didn't wait around to see his reaction.  When the smoked cleared from the Omega, his white belly was laying right where he had previously stood.

He definately met my goal of killing a 2 1/2 or more year old buck. (his teeth show him to be 2 1/2)

After all of this excitement, i honestly kind of forgot about dad's shot.  Secured all my gear and began my walk back to the truck.  I could see he already beat me there, a good sign since we planned on meeting back at 11 if no success brought us back sooner.

As the pictures will show, these two deer are very similar.  They both are exactly 16" outside spread, have broken g-3's (opposite sides), and will probably score within a few inches of one another (mass, tine length, etc. is very comparable).  Anyhow, that is why i am coining them as "Bookend Bucks"

Needless to say, we had a tremendous start to our season.  I just wish we could have had a little luck spill over to Saturday.  I got to take out my little sister and brother (They couldn't go on friday because of sports in HS).  Unfortunately, we did not even see a deer in the morning and only doe in the distance on sat. night.  Oh well, youth season is coming up soon.

Sailfish

RE: Bookend Bucks

Postby Sailfish » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:49 am

Great story and pics.

Congrats on your bookends!

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:32 am

Nice deer

buckhunter21