WORST SEASON EVER!

grunt_doc

WORST SEASON EVER!

Postby grunt_doc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:26 am

This year even beats out the seasons past that I could only hunt 1 day (and came up empty)!  On opening day I saw 11 deer, the next day 4.  I just couldn't get anything together.  I missed an easy broadside shot on a doe on day 1.  She was no more than 30 yds away.  I have no idea what happened.  I have no excuses, either.  The day before I put up a fist size group at 50 yds (browning A5 sweet 16).  She mule kicked and trotted up the hill.  When I went to the spot where she was when I shot, all I saw was a pile of white fur.  No blood.  She got an education and a free hair cut.  I followed the tracks to make sure it was at least a "clean" miss.  Oh well.  At least I screwed up so much I didn't even wound her.  Haven't seen anything since.

Then on the 2nd weekend, I find out that the awesome spot I found is actually on private land!  I "met" the land owner that weekend.  Over the fall turkey season, I stumbled across the spot. As per the land owner, some jerks stole all his posted signs. As I made my way across from state land to his land, there was no markers, no signs, nothing to show the change.  He was very understanding about it.  I told him that I was sorry for tresspassing and that I wouldn't step foot on his land again.  I even offered to help put the signs back up.  We shook hands and I took off, feeling horrible that I had been one of "those guys." 

My father shot a huge doe, but that's it for all 6 of us!  Anyway, this Saturday will be my last chance.  Hopefully, I can turn this season around!

stormshooter4

RE: WORST SEASON EVER!

Postby stormshooter4 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:29 am

GD, that was awful neighborly of you to offer to put up the missing posted signs. I'll bet  the landowner left with a much different opinion of you.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

willseyville

Postby willseyville » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:24 pm

been bad here to doc got some snow last sunday i only saw four sets of tracks two  were bucks. the one thing i notice there were no small tracks and the woods were full of cyotes tracks. i'm thinking that a lot of fawns did'nt make this year. i did see two nice bucks during bow season they were ether out of range or moving to fast i'm down to sat. afternoon and sunday i wish you luck doc.[:)]wayne

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:26 pm

It wasn't his fault that some d-bag took the signs down. Besides, I was already on his land...the least I could do was to offer help. You never know when I might need to get permission to track a deer on his land. There's no point in burning bridges. Too bad, though...it was looking like it was going to be a great spot after a little manicuring. There's plenty of state land to get lost in though.

Return to New York