Help - I'm in the market for a climbing tree stand

Patriot

Help - I'm in the market for a climbing tree stand

Postby Patriot » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Hey everyone,
I've finally decided to try something new.....get a climing tree stand.  I've never used one in my 21 years of hunting, so I could use your help on what to look for.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on ease of use, brands, cost, etc.

Thanks!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

bowbrown

RE: Help - I'm in the market for a climbing tree stand

Postby bowbrown » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:09 am

I personally have had a lone wolf sit and climb for 5-6 years and have been very happy with it. They pretty pricey and I won't say thet they are the only stand I would buy but I believe that they are build well, quite and easy to use. They stick better to the tree than any stand I have been in. I have sat in it from sun up to sun down many times and been comfortable but I believe there are more comfortable stands out there although I think those stand are bigger and bulkier. If I was goin to buy another archery stand it would be a lone wolf if I was looking for an all day gun stand I look for something a little bigger with a shooting rail. Hope this helps good luck!

DEGOINS

Postby DEGOINS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:22 am

I've bought just about all of the big name stands and theres only one I will own from now on and thats API.  They can be purchased exclusively through Basspro and nothing grips a tree like they do.  They have all day comfort and peace of mind whille up the tree.  You can buy lighter stands and I have but when it comes to being able to grip any bark type and allow you to stand and move around with out the stand moving these are the way to go.  They had a re-call a few years back because walmart wanted them to cheapen the stand they sold in their stores, they did and it resulted in failures so now they only sell through basspro and the stands are safer than anything out there in my opinion because you have a pin going through a chain to secure it to the tree. Not a piece of plastic gripping an oversized fan belt.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks guys!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:26 pm

Patriot;
I don't know if you've made your purchase yet or not, but I'll put my 2 cents worth in anyways. I personally use the Ol-man climber and have been using it for the last twelve years or so. It's a love hate relationship. I love the versatility it offers me, but I hate the fact that it came to this! You see, after they legalized baiting in the state of Mich. every low life that could draw a bow started hunting and nothing was safe! After having half a dozen hang on stands stolen I knew I had to do something different!
My first climber was a Baker and I wouldn't recommend one of those death traps to my worst enemys.
Now I looked at all the climbers available at the time and the versatility of the Ol-man won me over. There are some out there that may work just a little better and maybe just a little lighter, but bear me out here. The seat is like a tennis net and amazingly comfortable. You can also leave it out over night in the rain or snow and just shake it off, no wet seat.....nice! I've used it on everything from beech to pine and even telephone poles never ever slipped. Once you get to your desired height the clips that snap around the tree hold it very securely. If by chance the only choice you have is a smaller tree no problem. If your limited by height restraints or lack of good cover, no problem! The Ol-man is the only climber you can slide the seat forward and sit facing the tree! Using the tree like this to hide your silhouette really works well.
My only complaint is the weight, I see that there selling them now made from aluminum and something like 11 pounds lighter on some models. I believe mine weighs something like twenty pounds and it doesn't bother me unless I have a half mile hike or better.

Good luck to you on your purchase, I think there website is olmanoutdoors, I'm not 100% though.
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

Whtetaillover

Postby Whtetaillover » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:14 am

I bought a Lone WOlf sit and climb back in 2008...I have a wide frame...not fat just built broad. I wish I had waited another year to buy one myself, because Lwolf came out with a wider seat..alittle more money but it would be worth it. The early season hunts are fine but when you have layers of clothing on...watch out. I probably would have checked out Summit alittle more carefully. They make great stands as well. It's just going to come down to what you want, you like. I would say try them out first in the store...they usually have a place where you can do that. LWolf is not the most comfortable stand out there...a few hours at a time, but not an all day sit stand.

One more thing....have you just sat by a tree. Its remarkable that more people just don't plop their selves down next to a big circumferenced tree. If I am in a hurry, because it does take time to install, then put your safety gear on the tree and move that as you go up the tree...I'll go into the woods, sit by a tree and wait without moving. It works people just play the wind and soak yourself in 99 percent spray.

I am just as guilty as anyone else..to see something on tv and need to buy it....They have become very good at advertising..the hunting industry. Don't be sold on getting high in a tree when you can sit by a fence row, tree line, or ditch bank without being seen if you become a motionless hunter up until the time the buck or doe presents itself.

Good luck on your purchase and way to get us out of this economic crisis.. :)

logawhit01

Postby logawhit01 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:47 am

I love my Summit - I have a Cobra which was replaced by the Viper! It is a great stand and very comfortable!

I would say before you drop a couple of hundred dollars into a stand do this, Find someone that will let you borrow one of the suggested stands and go try it for yourself! That is what I did!

Enjoy your hunting, Love God and then your family

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:53 am

If money is not a deciding factor then I would seriously consider the weight.  I have an old steel climber but, it gets set on a tree in August and stays there all season.  It is about 27 pounds.  Toting a heavy stand a long distance can increase the odds of sweating on the way in and we all know that is no good.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:03 am

Patriot,
What climber did you go with? I'm going to be in the market in January.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:35 am

ORIGINAL: DEGOINS

I've bought just about all of the big name stands and theres only one I will own from now on and thats API.  They can be purchased exclusively through Basspro and nothing grips a tree like they do.  They have all day comfort and peace of mind whille up the tree.  You can buy lighter stands and I have but when it comes to being able to grip any bark type and allow you to stand and move around with out the stand moving these are the way to go.  They had a re-call a few years back because walmart wanted them to cheapen the stand they sold in their stores, they did and it resulted in failures so now they only sell through basspro and the stands are safer than anything out there in my opinion because you have a pin going through a chain to secure it to the tree. Not a piece of plastic gripping an oversized fan belt.

I'll second the vote for API stands! Two years ago I did a lot of online research for a climbing tree stand and found that API stands were highly rated yet cost less than a lot of the big names like Summit, Ol-Man and Lone Wolf. I second the fact they grip a tree like no other, I have seen friend's stands and the API's have a lot better grip then there's. I feel very safe in my API and in two years have never had it slip, despite that I still wear my safety vest even though I don't think the stand will ever fail me. They are solid aluminum stands that are light weight and strong. I'm 6'4" and weigh 250 lbs and sit all day in my API without getting sore. Do yourself a favor and go online to the websites like Bass Pro and Cabelas and look at the reviews for all the stands, there is no need to spend $400 for some stands that don't rate any higher than you can get an API for about $250. Good luck and let us know what you finally decide on.

Next

Return to Treestands