Aging Bucks on the Hoof

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
ranwin33

Aging Bucks on the Hoof

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:31 am

Just read the article, Aging Bucks on the Hoof by Charles Alsheimer.

All I can say is finally somebody was willing to put it in print.  In short he states that most people can't determine a bucks age beyond 3.5-4.5 years, even the experts. 

Plus the part about ballpark aging and well as basic descriptors for the various ages was exceptional. 

Way to go Charlie!!
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

ReflexHunter

RE: Aging Bucks on the Hoof

Postby ReflexHunter » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:55 am

I agree!!!  I think it is hard to age deer from different areas as well, because where I hunt it seems way different than other places.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:57 am

Reflex Hunter I agree with you being from Wisconsin I swear a 3.5 year old buck has a bigger body then most states 3.5 year olds do or at least where I hunt they do.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm with you guys. The article made me feel better about my own inability to field judge beyond 3.5 years.

I target any buck 3.5 or older. I have gotten excited and over estimated a couple of 2.5s but my real QDM goal is to protect yearlings.  

I know according to CA I should eventually become good enough to judge all the way to 4.5. But he reminds us all that it is only an educated guess.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:49 am

I know what you mean about over estimating 2.5's. 

I've got one on my wall that I was sure was 3.5 or older when we were viewing him on pictures.  But after shooting him, I'm thinking he might have been 2.5, just didn't have the body weight I was expecting.  He did have heavy tarsal staining though, so maybe he was 3.5.

“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:50 am

how'd yall do on the photo quiz?i got it right .that pot belly gives em away[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:56 pm

ORIGINAL: JOEL

how'd yall do on the photo quiz?i got it right .that pot belly gives em away[:D]

Me too! Racks are a big deceiver. Shy of looking at the teeth (which is the ONLY sure way), the next best way is to judge body mass. That's STILL tricky, because of local diets, how much body weight the animal's lost due to the rut, and tooth wear (a very old deer with bad or few good teeth will NOT look that big).

I've spent most of my life around horses and cattle, and it's pretty much the same. In fact with horses, when they get past 12 or so, it gets real hard to age them with their teeth, as they all wear differently. Soil has a lot to do with it. The most sand and grit is in the soil they feed from the more tooth wear they will have.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:56 am

I also passed the quiz, but it was irrelevent. They were both "shooters" for me, so I'd do my aging with the jawbone in my hands. [;)]

The one that got me was the photo of the two 2.5's.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:51 pm

"shooter's"? does the freezer got space?then its a shooter.[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:25 am

ORIGINAL: JOEL

"shooter's"? does the freezer got space?then its a shooter.[:D]

Yeah, I hate the term too. The only reason I ever use it is because "buck of apparently 3.5 years of age or older, that I am willing to burn my any-sex tag on" takes too long to say.

Next

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features