need a new forum about reloading

Disclaimer: This Web site's authors, editors and publisher have no control over the assembly of ammunition, arms it is to be fired in or how the resulting ammunition may be used. Therefore, no responsibility, either implied or expressed, is assumed for the use of any of the loading and reloading data on this site.
MSHunter

RE: need a new forum about reloading

Postby MSHunter » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:42 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

If you're certain about this plastic-tipped bullet thing, then you've definitely not gone deep enough.  Sometimes just backing off a grain or two of powder, or switching powder or changing the depth of the bullet seating by a few .001"  gets you where you want to be.

I had a finicky  Rem 742 that only liked this off-brand South African ammo.  I bought as much of it as I could-- I still have a few boxes left.  Anyhow, as soon as I got into reloading, I tried a load in it that was originally built for my M1 Garand.  Bingo!  It was a tack driver all of a sudden.  What's more, I tried 2-3 other loads in it and found it was a fairly accurate rifle overall.  It just liked a moderate powder like IMR4895.

You know, you MIGHT actually be able to afford reloading.  Check this out:

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar142.htm

Now, that would not be all you'd need, you would still need dies and consumables, but . . . you see my point.  You could get into reloading for one caliber for just the cost of a couple boxes of that fancy ammo you're buying. 

Here's the book that got me started:

The ABC's of Reloading by Bill Chevalier

Just got done reading/rereading several sections of this book.

taxman

Postby taxman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:19 pm

This forum is a great idea and I hope it keeps going. I am new to reloading and still setting up my press. I opted for the Hornady Lock n Load AP, but it seems to me that everyone else is using a Dillon. Did I go wrong? Does anyone else out there use the AP or have any feedback on it?

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:06 am

I've heard mixed reviews on the Hornady Lock n Loads.  But that's true of nearly every progressive.  It either fits your style of reloading or it doesn't.   If you're doing consistently accurate and safe loads without a lot of frustration, then I'd say you've made a good choice. Whether you're into blue paint, red paint or green paint, for every guy that swears by it, you'll find one swearing at it.

Me? I'm still on my first Rockchucker after 10 years.  I don't do a lot of large batches-- usually no more than 100 rounds at a time, but I do it for over a dozen different chamberings. The guys who advised me said that a good single-stage press would be a sound investment-- that I'd keep using it no matter what I did in the future.  I kept thinking I'd use it for a couple of years and then invest in a progressive-- never felt the need.

. . . of course I've had one son or another pulling the handle for me for most of that time.  Angus has been pulling the handle on the Rockchucker since he was 4.  Whenever I have a large batch to do, I bring my automatic handle puller down stairs to the reloading cave. This year,the handle puller finally graduated to full assistant reloader.  I did the primers and the weighing.  He did the rest, and managed to load all his 30-30 rounds for the first time.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rem700

Postby rem700 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:05 am

i have two reloading presses, a single stage and a progressive press. The progressive press is use for more high vol. reloading like pistol. The single stage press is used for more consistent and accurate loads. If you are just getting into reload, i feel the single stage press is better to start reload on, yes it is slow, but you get more of a understanding of reloading with the single stage press. Then go to a progressive. just my 2cent...      
Robert

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:29 am

The new forum is created so feel free to start different threads for various topics dealing with reloading.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:44 pm

I started reloading a few years ago . I bought a couple of the Lyman reloading books for pistol and rifle and read both before starting . I am still learning . I just started doing some 44 mag loads and don't have that down pat yet .
Semper Fi !

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:23 am

There was a couple responses I didn't understand. Federal law prohibits the sale of reloaded ammo without a Federal license. So if members want to donate ammo to each other I would suggest they do so off this forum because you never know who's reading. If I misinterpreted your meaning, I appologize, and you can disregard.
Handloading is great and can make and average rifle exceptional. I currently handload for the 204, 223, 270, 308, 30-06 & 20ga/12ga shotshells.

CB

chucksniper

Postby chucksniper » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:46 pm

what for?

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:22 am

ORIGINAL: vipertech

One question I have is:  Can you make/reload shotgun sabot slugs?  IE:  could I make a sabot slug which is pretty much just like the 12g Hornady SST sabots I shoot now?  My gun seems to love these rounds.

Yes you can reload slugs. Lee makes a 1oz and 7/8oz slug mold. The slugs will be of the round nose variety not the pointed like the sst slugs. I know some guys do not like them. Personally I do, I have have the 1oz mold and reload all my slugs for shotgun season. They will not give you the same so called 150 yrd slug but when stand hunting I have taken deer at over 90yrds with them with no problem. 

I think a reloading is a great hobby. I initially started relaoding shot shells to save some money and it worked untill the lead prices jumped a few years back. I have not reloaded any rifle loads to date but I do have an old Herters press that I need to find the shell holders for. Maybe some one here could help me with that? I soon hope to start loading for my rifles and hand guns as well. I think a forum like this would be great lets go!

kyhareraiser

Re: need a new forum about reloading

Postby kyhareraiser » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:04 pm

i reload and have for quite some time now. anything from 223 to 30-06 in rifle and from 9mm ,38spl.to 357 mag.. the love for shooting got me started

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading