Ground Venison

Got good taste? Share it with our readers!
shadow

Ground Venison

Postby shadow » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 pm

No recipe here just a comment and question.
While helping some buddies butcher their deer this past week, they immediately ground their venison. I normally just package everything then thaw and grind.
Anyway I noticed they mix their venison with Boneless beef chuck roast, they mixed about 3/4 venison to 1/4 beef. They feel that there is enough fat in the beef and they also say they like using the beef, thats the way they always have done it.
When I grind mine for burgers I always used pork. Its now got me wondering if beef is the way to go or should I continue using pork?
I want to preserve the venison flavor but also obviously want sufficent fat to moisten it all.

What type of beef (chuck,fat, ground etc..) or what type of pork (pork fat, ground pork, pork butt, etc,) do you use? and what is the venison to pork/beef ratio do you feel is best.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

69Viking

RE: Ground Venison

Postby 69Viking » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

No recipe here just a comment and question.
While helping some buddies butcher their deer this past week, they immediately ground their venison. I normally just package everything then thaw and grind.
Anyway I noticed they mix their venison with Boneless beef chuck roast, they mixed about 3/4 venison to 1/4 beef. They feel that there is enough fat in the beef and they also say they like using the beef, thats the way they always have done it.
When I grind mine for burgers I always used pork. Its now got me wondering if beef is the way to go or should I continue using pork?
I want to preserve the venison flavor but also obviously want sufficent fat to moisten it all.

What type of beef (chuck,fat, ground etc..) or what type of pork (pork fat, ground pork, pork butt, etc,) do you use? and what is the venison to pork/beef ratio do you feel is best.

Good topic! I'm new to processing my own deer and would also like to hear the different opinions on this!

paulie

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:05 pm

I dont add anything to it (not sayin ya shouldnt, just sayin I dont), It still cooks up fine. Doesnt make for very good pattys that way (nothing to hold em together) but, I pretty much use it for stuff like chili, spagetti, tacos, ect. In the past I have used pork never tried beef though.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:05 pm

I just grind it . My son makes Italian Sausage and Breakfast Sausage . He adds ground pork fat to his sausages .
Semper Fi !

vermont backstrap

Postby vermont backstrap » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:38 am

I just grind it as well. Use to put in some ground chuck, but found it was not needed. We should have a veni recipe cook off!! Anyways.my famous burger recipe is pure veni ground, italian bread crumbs, a little wochester sauce and finely chopped onions!!! IF you think you can beat that, send it my way b/c i want to try!!! Later.........

TFin04

Postby TFin04 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Grind it.

Add an egg, some olive oil, and some bread crumbs for making burger patties.

I use it plain for chili, tacos, etc.

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:29 pm

Add an egg, some olive oil, and some bread crumbs for making burger patties.

I did not know that! I'll have to give that a try (assuming I kill something this year). Thanks for the tip!

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:38 pm

I will be adding pork to sausage patties I will make, but TF and VT backstrap and others...it isn't dry at all when making burgers?
I'll have to try some without anything but a little salt and pepper. And experiment with the olive oil, egg, breadcrumbs etc..
Thanks. I also never thought of adding a little olive oil to not only bind it but to also moisten things up.

By the way Vermont backstrap... these 2 most recent deer my buddies got where shot probably not to far from you, at the Groton state forest in Vt.  Nice deer, a doe and buck shot during the muzzleloader season.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:24 pm

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

[size="3"]I just grind it . My son makes Italian Sausage and Breakfast Sausage . He adds ground pork fat to his sausages . [/size]

I have been wanting to ask this for awhile, what is ground pork fat and where do I get it?  

2nd, any chance your son would share his breakfast sausage recipe?

jerseyhunter

Postby jerseyhunter » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:59 am

I just add beef suet, no more than 2 lbs to 8lbs Venison. If I'm making meatballs or mweatloaf I add pork and beef fat to the mix. 

Next

Return to Recipes