The Temperature is up to 25 degrees

fasteddie

The Temperature is up to 25 degrees

Postby fasteddie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:32 am

I am trying to convince myself to go out this afternoon with the muzzle loader . I havn't been seeing anything anywhere but I can't shoot one while sitting at the computer . I sat in a blind for 3 1/2 hours Wednesday with no sightings and didn't see any tracks .
Semper Fi !

fasteddie

RE: The Temperature is up to 25 degrees

Postby fasteddie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Well , I was at the swamp by 1 pm and got in my stand . It was cold but the sun being out helped . I stayed out until 4:30 and had enough of seeing nothing and left .
Semper Fi !

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Fasteddie, sorry but you are reminding me of a good buddy of mine.  I cannot believe it was dark by 4:30....which would mean you left early.  I have sat for hours on stand without seeing anything....I am not sure of your situation but, I always try to keep anyone I know that gets frustrated in a positive attitude and stick it out no matter what the cost.  There is only one place you will kill a deer.....

Stick with it pal, good things come to those who wait.
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:17 am

Your not alone Eddie. Everyone I know struggled this year. I hunted dawn to dusk Thursday & Friday and saw one deer, a fawn. We even put on some mini-drives Thursday. Not one shot was taken. 2009 will go into my records as a record year for the fewest deer seen since the early 1980's. I spent 24 days in the woods between bow, firearms and ML and saw less than 30 deer most of which were during archery season. Happy holidays to all.

CB

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:59 am

Our hunting Regulations state "sunrise to sunset" . Sunset was at 4:35 . I left the stand at 4:30 and was frozen . I was out of the wooded area by 5 pm . We are in different Time Zones .........Even when walking out of the area , I havn't seen or jumped anything . I was out 3 times this week in the sub-freezing weather and this old body can only take so much .
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:45 am

I hear ya....yesterday cold ...no wind and I went for a walk....get to the crest of hill and there 20 yards from my stand I see a deer...go get gasses and it was a big doe and fawn....So today I bundle up and bow in hand go down to the stand....by 9:30 I was back in ...crows and kicked up a bunny...heard a close shot down the hill and one on next road over...the tracks are amazing going to and from plots and they are tore up....some of the bigger deer made it because the tracks are huge and far spaced....all night movements and mid day....will try this after noon....Good luck

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:20 am

I may make a day of it Monday . Our Bow / Muzzle Loader season finishes up Dec 22 . If I could at least see something , it would make braving the cold worth while . [:)]
Semper Fi !

metrx

Postby metrx » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:09 am

I havent been out much this season at all due to family obligations.  My experience in NY with the muzzleloader is that after 3 weeks of deer being persued and shot at during the regular firearms  season, we would do drives during the ML season.  The deer are stationary during the day and have become mostly nocturnal.  The only way to get them moving, is to "move them".  If this isnt an option, stand hunt in the a.m. and still hunt all day...when I say still hunt, I mean it should take you an hour to go 100 yards.  Take a stand in late afternoon until dark.
Good luck

Return to New York