Good Luck Michigan Hunters

DeerCamp

Good Luck Michigan Hunters

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:04 am

Well everyone, Im going to be heading to school shortly and than to work (blah). After that I'll be heading up North to Escanaba to hunt for the first 5 days of the season. Im very excited for this trip, I have had it planed all summer. (I kinda feel like Im going way up into Canada.) Im excited to get my trail cam and look at pics, seeing its been out there for 12 days. I was thinking it'd be cool to have a bear on there and some nice buck, but well see what happens. Anyways since I wont be posting for a few days, I would like to take the time to say good luck to everyone and I hope that you all have a very successful season! Remember, its all about the memories you make out in the feild and the fun you have.Good Luck

Jerry
Internet Pro Staff
MICHIGAN
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Demoderby4

RE: Good Luck Michigan Hunters

Postby Demoderby4 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:06 pm

It's my first year bowhunting so i have been pretty excited this last week about opening day, i went out all day yesterday and a few hours today. I saw 4 doe total yesterday. At about 6:40, 3 were walking on a great trail that i saw a 4 point on during scouting, they were about 15 yards away, i had my pin locked on the first one in the group, i was waiting for her to take one more step to let it fly and i honestly don't know what happened but she and 2 others behind her spooked and took off i know they didn't sniff me, i had a great wind, it was really odd, i didn't hear a thing :/ i was pretty bummed after that, so i sat down, then about 15 mins later a huge doe comes in off another trail to the west of me about 35 yards away, she was the biggest bodied doe i have ever seen, she started eating some acorns and i didnt wanna risk spooking her so i didnt go for my calls, it was about 715 by now and it was getting hard to see in the woods, like i said this is my first year bow hunting (im 21) and i didnt wanna take the shot and risk just wounding her, my max range i trust myself at right now is about 25 yards, so i let her eat and leave, then i got down and called it a night, after seeing nothing the first 12 hours in the stand that 45 mins or so was well worth the wait, i love just seeing deer in the woods its awesome! Then today the weather was crappy, and i had a bad wind, but i was bored so i figured i'd try my luck, i saw another doe on my way into my stand, i stopped and started calling her, she came in a little, but that was about it, she was away well more than 50 yards then went into the woods, i then went to my stand and not 15 mins later i hear a grunt in the direction where the big doe was, i couldnt see him so i hit my grunt call, but he didnt come in, so i waited, im pretty sure he circled downwind because about 10 mins later i hear a snort from behind me on the trail those other does were on yesterday, again i couldnt see him, he snorted a few more times and i hear him walk off :/ It started to rain pretty bad after that so i just decided to call it a night at about 615, Even though i havent got anything it sure has been an exciting year so far! I know im in the right spot just need a little more luck and i'll be stocking that freezer ;)

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:42 pm

Sounds like you've had an exciting couple of days Demo! Good luck next time your out.

Tomorrow morning will be my first chance to get out so far, and I am stoked. I can't fall asleep and I have "Da Turdy Point Buck" on repeat on my itunes. 6 o'clock am is comin quick, but not soon enough. I'm ready to get in the woods! Hopefully I'll have some good stories by tomorrow night!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:06 am

Good luck Wired i look forward to hearing what went on today! Hopefully you get a lot of action!

WiredToHunt

Postby WiredToHunt » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:42 pm

Well the weekend ended with no new venison in the freezer, but I still had a good time. Got out in the woods Friday morning and evening, Saturday evening and Sunday Morning. Saw a whole lot of doe, but not a single buck.

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:07 am

Thats too bad about no bucks or anything, at least you got to see some deer tho, thats the best part for me, if i dont get the chance to take a shot of course lol, hopefully the next outings produce a nice shooter for ya!

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Well, I just got back from my 5 day hunt in Escanaba.. Boy did I freez my butt off!! It was a very nice time.
Opening day I saw 6 does, and really thought about shooting one but decied to hold off..
Day 2: I had one deer come in, in the morning. I passed on her as well. For the evening I was skunked!
Day 3: I was skunked in the morning, I was feeling really down the whole evening hunt after that. I was even more down when I heard 2 porkiepines screaming at one another for 2 1/2 hours! They came right in to my shooting lane and just started screaming. I was very upset by this and kept thinking the whole time how I should just get down. I decied to stick it out and I was rewared with a nice 8pt. I decied to pass on him because there are bigger bucks in the area, his precesnces was more than enough to get me excited about the next mornings hunt.
Day 4: I slept in, in the morning... It was the coldest day, and sadly our propain ran out and I FROZE BY litterly!!  I went out for the evening and saw a few more does. No bucks
Day 5: I hunted the morning hunt passing on a spike and a 4pt. After that I came back and packed up and headed on home.

It was a VERY fun trip for me and I will be doing it again next year.. Id like to make it a tradition. I was bummed when I checked my trail cam.. I only had 13 pics, and was even more bummed when they where of me setting up my stand.. ect... I set the camera a little to high. Oh well ya learn something everytime ya go to the field.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Return to Michigan