WI - CWD - Mt. Horeb / Blue Mounds Area

Patriot

WI - CWD - Mt. Horeb / Blue Mounds Area

Postby Patriot » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:10 pm

Hello Wisconsin hunters,
I grew up in WI and hunted there for 13 years before moving to Minnesota.  I lost permission to hunt the WI property the same year they found CWD in the zone (serves them right....just kidding).  The first case of CWD in WI was actually discovered at the place I registered my deer every season.

I was wondering.....whatever became of the CWD eradication zone?  Still rampant with deer, or are they in check now?

I hunted about 30 minutes west of Mt. Horeb......the good ole' days.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

RE: WI - CWD - Mt. Horeb / Blue Mounds Area

Postby Goose » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:54 pm

good to here from you! Hows the hunting in MN? I dont hunt in the eradication zone but from what Ive read and heard the DNR is kinda backing out, Seasons getting closer to "normal seasons" and Ive also heard that the deer numbers are pretty much right where they were when it all started. Bigwisconsinbucks you got any input. Like I said Im not there so what I told you might not be very accurate.????
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:49 am

They have now changed it from 2 CWD zones(Herd Reduction and Eradication) to one big zone. I hunt in the CWD Zone and the seasons have really changed since a few years ago. 2-3 years ago we had a gun season from November until January and an early gun season. This year we finally have the normal 9 day gun season again, but there is also an antlerless hunt in October and a holiday season around Christmas time. Also, you can still shoot as many deer as you want in a day as far as I know. I hunt near Reedsburg and no there aren't as many deer as there used to be. The population has gone down in my area. However, if you go in the Bear Valley area or towards Sauk City you will see that the population hasn't changed and the deer are thriving.
Kyle

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:02 am

Did you see any Trolls when you were hunting near Mt. Horeb?[:D] 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:07 pm

Its good to hear from somebody thats there. Thanks BWB
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:14 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

Did you see any Trolls when you were hunting near Mt. Horeb?[:D] 

EatDeer,
Are you referring to the ones carved into the tree stumps?  Yes! 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

gmoe18

Postby gmoe18 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:20 am

i live in blue mounds. They are getting closer to the normal seasons. The deer seem to be out at night a lot more. Almost all my pictures on my deer cam are at night and havnt been seeing much bow hunting untill i am walking out when it is dark

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:26 am

I have to say that the dnr handled the situation very bad.  They over reacted to it and lost alot of hunters because of it.  As far as the season goes it is getting back to normal.  The people where I hunt aren't shooting as many deer as used to.  It used to be that on opening day our hunting party would shoot 5 or 6 deer and now we shoot 3 or 4 deer a year.  The deer herd is getting somewhat back to where it was but its gonna take years for it to be this way.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:53 am

Welcom Garrett! hope to hear more from you, please let us know how your hunting goes through the hunting notes thread under Wisconsin. Good luck and we hope to hear from ya.
Jake

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:38 am

i definitely agree that it was poorly handled

and the octobor anterless hunt is in 3/4 of the state not just the CWD Management Zone 

Return to Wisconsin