2009 Hunting Report

Lot to Learn 2

RE: 2009 Hunting Report

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 am

I have seen the most action really early and really late in picked bean fields.  In fact, I have patterned a freaking monster. I have had him in my scope sights 3 days in a row.  I set up on him Sunday eve and I was walking through some heavy stuff to get the right wind and right shooting direction. I get to almost where I want to set up and some guy and kid come walking out of the area across the field he has been coming out of.  Can't win. He said he was just showing the boy a buck rub. How did he know where a buck rub was on me. I didn't go off because of the kid. I am hoping the deer does not get poached before Friday and muzzle loader season.  I am hoping to bow hunt before then, just to see if he has continued the pattern but things don't seem to be working out for that. 

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:19 am

Good luck on the Monster!!! Would love to see some pics.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:57 am

thanks man, I really think the tines on this guy are like 18" tall, it is ridiculous. My brother in law bow hunted this farm with me last year and saw a deer in this same area with similar features. His rack is just ivory white, seems to be a trend on this farm. No way to know for sure but I am thinking very possible same deer we have been seeing for a few years now. I want to get a camera but I just know it will get stolen.  anyway, I am going to try and bow hunt this afternoon, just to see if he has the same routine more than anything. Be nice if it would warm up to 20 degrees. 

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm

[font="verdana"][size="2"]For those that have not seen the totals, this article at the end shows the preliminary totals for each county for the first & second firearm season.  I wish I was one of them [X(]

IL Firearm Harvest Totals Down
[/size][/font]
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:22 am

thanks for the post bobow, interesting numbers.  With all the standing corn I don't think the numbers were that far off. I got fortunate with 2 does but I am not seeing much right now. Had a few does pretty far off and I did see the buck I am chasing last night, but again too far away and getting dark quick.  I hope he makes it one more day so I may get a chance with the bow, but if not should be even nicer next year. Honestly, really nice seeing him so much. I have hunted this farm at least 5 years and I have seen good bucks but not this often. 

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:57 pm

thats a good'n.  congratulations!
Semper Fidelis!

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:37 am

Thanks All,

Anyhow I decided to go out Saturday for an afternoon bow hunt. I thought I would hunt a ground blind ( I had not hunted this year) I had set up weeks before the gun opener. This blind is well off the beaten path and quite a hike, set well betwwen two bedding areas and right on a travel pinch point. Well, the snow was deeper than I thought and noiser than heck to walk on. I busted a group of bedded does about three hundred yards from the blind. Oh well, against my better judgement I continued to head to my blind trying to be quiet as possible ( there was a bit of wind and I thought well there still may be a chance.) As I got closer to my blind I bust two more deer on large body (not sure buck or doe). Now I am getting a bit frustrated. Now I find my blind had been colapsed by the snow we had a couple of weeks back. Great, I decided to bust up the rock solid snow and attempt to salvage my blind. I was certain that after all that noise I would be better off going back home, but I decided to sit there instead, maybe get a shot off at a turkey or yote.

It ended up I had 20 turkeys within 5 feet of my blind and no shot at them. And about a half hour before sunset a Doe with two yearling presented a 25 yard perfect broadside shot. However I decided to let her pass. I am not sure why.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:42 am

sounds like a nice hunt even with all the trouble.  I know what you mean about sticking to a plan. I have had very similar plans where things happen but I make myself go ahead. Usually good things happen. Good hunting brother. 

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:31 am

Actualy with all the crap I did enjoy it. I have never hunted from a blind before, it was a good learning experince.

L to L 2 have you seen the monster lately?? Good luck.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:28 pm

no I think I missed my opportunity for the year. I have not given up but I have not seen him.

Previous

Return to Illinois